Mellor Seconds ended the season in style thrashing local rivals Spurley at Wood Lane in a masterclass of finishing.

Spurley were just one place behind Mellor in the table before the game and might have scored five or six themselves.

They hit Mellor's woodwork four times and Mellor keeper Andy McFall made three breathtaking saves.

All nine goals were top drawer.

Mellor's performance in the first 20 minutes was arguably the best of any Mellor side this season.

Crisp and accurate passing tore gaping holes in Spurley's rearguard.

Danny Leibrick surged through the Spurley defence on three minutes but lost control and the move broke down.

A minute later Spurley hit the base of a post with a powerful drive from range.

On six minutes a mesmeric move saw the ball transferred from Mike White to Matt Bass to Leibrick and then back to Bass whose cross was tucked home for 1-0 by Luke Jubb in the six yard box.


A cross causes panic in the first half

Jubby on the ball


Bass and Mike Atherton were controlling the midfield.

On eight minutes a long diagonal ball found Carl Brindley alone in the area but he couldn't gather the ball in.

The game was end-to-end and three minutes later Spurley fashioned a slick move that should have produced a goal but a forward fired over from six yards.

Mellor were in no mood to let the miss go unpunished.

Another flowing move on 14 minutes saw Dave Moss release Matt Bass down the right and his pin point cross was met by a swashbuckling volley from Brindley that sent the ball flying into the net for 2-0.

Atherton then went on a trademark mazy run past three defenders but the alert Spurley keeper rushed out and grabbed the ball off his toe.

On 17 minutes Matt Bass drilled home a low drive for 3-0.

Brinners almost scores

Carl Brindley's worldy volley for 2-0

Brinners in again but he can't take the ball down


Mellor were rampant and the colour on the faces of Spurley's defenders matched their shirts.

White almost got Brindley in again on 18 minutes and a minute later Lee Power almost found the net with a Rooneyesque 45 yard chip that missed by a whisker.

On 20 minutes a Brindley cross hit Spurley's bar with the keeper stranded.

McFall then made the first of several important saves, plunging to the right to turn the ball away.

Atherton was through again on 23 minutes but opted to chip the keeper who was alive to the ruse and plucked the ball out of the air.

The relentless cut-and-thrust subsided for a few minutes.

But on 32 minutes McFall was called on again to push away a 30 yard drive.

It ran to a Spurley forward who might have scored but fired over.

Jubb shot too high when found by a Dave Moss free kick.

Spurley were shooting at every opportunity, with incredible power, often from 25 or 30 yards and on 43 minutes McFall had to repel another long range effort with his legs.

The visitors finally broke their duck on 43 minutes with a blistering drive from fully 35 yards which cannoned in off the bar for 3-1.

Jonny Cooke replaced an injured Brindley at half time.

On 51 minutes Jubb and Leibrick combined but Leibrick's shot was saved.

Leibrick and Jubb then linked again to set up White but his shot was deflected over for a corner.

Mellor took it short to Moss whose cross was flicked goalwards by Atherton but saved.

On the hour McFall made another breathtaking save from range, changing direction as the ball swerved and palming it away.

Spurley were pressing and McFall denied them again on 62 minutes, going full length to concede a corner.

A minute later Bass broke their hearts curling in a wonderful shot from 27 yards high to the keeper's left for 4-1.

Moss fired over from a free kick.

Then Jubb got Cooke in but he lobbed the keeper and the bar.

On 69 minutes another lightning counter attack saw Leibrick in on the right and he picked his spot, cannoning the ball home off the far post for 5-1.

Chances were coming thick and fast.

Cooke was blocked off on 70 minutes, then Spurley countered and hit the bar again.

Lee Power fed Cooke whose change of pace opened up a shooting chance but he struck the ball too well and it flew over.

On 79 minutes Spurley scored again from range.

But two minutes later Jubb put Cooke in and he skilfully rounded the keeper to fire into an empty net for 6-2.

Leibo scores for 5-1

Cooke scores

Dave Moss, left footed, slots home number 7


Mellor then went into keep-ball mode, stringing 30 or 40 passes together without a Spurley player touching the ball.

Spurley kept in the hunt and McFall made his final save on 88 minutes.

Just when you thought the day couldn't get any better Moss picked the ball up 60 yards from goal, sold a dummy and as the defence parted like the Red Sea he strode on to drive the ball home left footed for 7-2. Incredible, Jeff.

It was a pleasing way to end the season and gave a glimpse of what the Seconds might achieve in the 2014-15 campaign.

It was a great day, too, for Mellor Firsts, going to Whalley Range and despite the intimidation coming away with a 5-4 win.

Mellor played the last 26 minutes with 10 men, due to injury.

Craig Fairfield, Dave Whelan, Joe Dalby, Jack Parr and Bruce Clarke scored and Mellor were 3-0 up at one stage.

Remember the End of Season Party is this Friday May 16th at the Marple Tavern, starting at 7.30pm.




• Click return to latest News page