Mellor Seconds won their tenth league match of the campaign with an emphatic 5-1 showing over a poor Hazel Grove side.

Had they been more ruthless in the languid May sunshine Mellor might have had double figures.

Mellor's pace down the flanks, especially the runs of Jack Parr and Danny Leibrick unnerved the slow Grove rearguard.

The writing was on the wall after three minutes when Jubb's clever shot to the top corner brought out an excellent save from the Grove keeper.

The ball was cleared to the left and the ensuing cross was met by Parr whose shot was blocked.


Lee Power shoots

Jubby misses



On six minutes Matt Bass found Lee Power who put in a great shot just off target.

Grove then fashioned a chance but fired wide.

Dave Moss then initiated a terrific move but the final shot was blocked, as Grove got 11 men behind the ball.

If Grove were trying to park the bus they found it was pretty rusty and easily dismantled.

On 11 minutes, Bass found Leibrick and he cut inside to fire home from 22 yards.


Mike Sharpe shoots


Brinners ....2-0


On 18 minutes a Lee Power shot found Jack Parr deep inside the area and the full back drove the ball against a post.

On 25 minutes Jubb fed Parr again and this time he shot over.

Leibrick and Mike Atherton then combined to create an opening for Carl Brindley, whose tried unsuccessfully to chip the keeper.

The runs of Bass and Atherton were creating havoc in midfield.

Moss's clever and accurate pass then sent Parr clear on 31 minutes and his cross to Brindley was converted for 2-0.

Four minutes later the game was over as Atherton's mazy run set up a chance for Jubb who thrashed the ball home from 12 yards.


A Jubby bullet for 3-0


Matt Bass attacks a header


Mellor on the attack


Lee Power scores with a cheeky back flick




On 42 minutes Moss's perfect pass to Atherton saw him round the keeper and set up Jubb for 4-0.

Moss then sent Parr clear and he found Lee Power whose shot was saved at the expense of a corner.

Parr was soon round the back again to provide another telling cross but this time Jubb was blocked off.

Brindley came off for Sharpe at the interval.

Immediately after the re-start Atherton broke clear and his shot was saved for a corner.

Atherton then put the ball on a plate for Jubb's hat-trick but the striker unusually muffed his finish.

McFall then made an excellent save, plunging to his left.

Mellor's next attack saw the Grove keeper drawn way out of his goal but Sharpe's Rooneyesque long range effort dropped wide.

Parr then charged down a clearance and ran on past the Grove defence to cross but a retreating Grove defender headed out for a corner narrowly missing an own goal.

Sharpe missed a good chance.

Then a Grove defender managed to head a Leibrick cross against his own crossbar and out to safety.

Leibrick, now on the left, powered past his man and crossed for Lee Power to cleverly back flick the ball into the met for 5-0.

Grove then pulled a consolation goal back and missed a sitter before the final whistle.

The Seconds have now won 10 and lost 8 of 19 league games.

The Fourths finished their campaign by beating the Division D champions Moorside Rangers 3-2 away.

Dunc Bray, Chris Millward and James Quigley scored.

A good day all round,

Remember the Rhodes Cup Final is at West Didsbury and Chorlton's ground at Brookburn Road on Wednesday, ko 7.30pm.

The post code is M21 8FF.



• Click return to latest News page