Mellor Seconds completed an unlikely double over the team that has won Division 2, in a thrilling encounter at Wood Lane.

The win puts Mellor sixth with nine wins from 18 league fixtures.

Mellor played some excellent football in patches, moving the ball skilfully from side to side of the pitch and showing a real cutting edge.

A few underhit passes and the odd lack of concentration aside, the performance showed the team is more than capable of mounting a title challenge next season.

Old Trafford, who have lost only two games - the ones against Mellor - all season, are not champions for nothing.

They carry a threat and Mellor had to be alert for 90 minutes.

The visitors were quickly into their stride and Jack Parr had to clear a dangerous cross on five minutes.

On 14 minutes the men in red mounted a lightning breakaway and although Mellor had two covering defenders the Old Trafford forward got his shot away and found the far corner for 0-1.

Mellor responded with a break of their own but the cross from the right wing found no colleague in the box.

On 27 minutes, however, Jack Parr found Danny Leibrick whose pass inside was flicked up by Mike Atherton to allow him to volley home from 16 yards.

Atherton's first


Mike White then fired over the bar as Mellor mounted a sustained period of pressure.

But on 30 minutes the home side had to block two goalbound shots, the second was stopped by goalscorer Atherton back in his own six yard box.

man of the Match Atherton then went on a mazy run past three defender only to be sent crashing to the ground in the area but the referee waved away penalty appeals.

Old Trafford regained the lead on 41 minutes with a header from a corner.

They might have gone further ahead as a right wing cross found a forward unmarked eight yards out but he volleyed over.

Mellor defending

Mellor on the attack


Luke Jubb fired over from a good position on 52 minutes after a well worked move.

Then on the hour Old Trafford missed a sitter, hitting the post when it seemed easier to score.

Mellor were briefly reduced to 10 men as Mike White went off injured.

But he returned to play a vital role in midfield.

Mellor finally equalised on 82 minutes through Rob White, driving home across goal.

Three minutes later Mike Barlow's right wing cross dropped off a clutch of heads to Atherton who smashed another volley through a ruck of players and into the net for 3-2.

Old Trafford were shell-shocked. And worse was to come as Jubb curled a delicious free kick to the right of the wall and in for 4-2 on 87 minutes.

In injury time the visitors pulled one back but Mellor held firm for the three points.

Atherton's second

Mellor score again

Jubb's brilliant free kick


The Firsts went to Hooley Bridge and came away with all three points thanks to an injury time penalty by Dave Whelan after Matt Peck had been upended.

Jack Kelly had earlier given Mellor a 2-0 lead, which the home side pegged back to 2-2 before the late drama.

Mellor now climb to fourth in the Premiership. Third is a real possibility.

The Thirds lost 4-1 at Burnage Metro, Fred Keyte netting.

The Fourths had another tremendous tussle against Hillgate Firsts away and came away with a 1-1 draw, Triece Davidson scoring.





• Click return to latest News page




Mike Atherton
Luke Jubb
Jack Kelly
Fred Keyte
Triece Davidson