Mellor Firsts cruised to another emphatic win and rose to fourth in the Premiership.

The side now have the third best goal difference in the division.

It was Bedians 15th defeat in 24 outings.

Manager Si Dalby rotated his team with Joe Dalby coming in at right-back for the rested Ben Beer.

In the absence of Chris Coram, Jack Hilton was again given a midfield berth.

Mellor started purposefully against the side they beat 6-1 at home in the last game of last season.

On three minutes Jack Kelly's shot found Adam Barlow five yards out and the Bedians keeper made a good close range stop.

Hilton, on the right, then put a great ball across the six yard box that eluded friend and foe and ran through to the left wing where Dan Byrne repeated the trick with no one to put the ball home.

On 13 minutes Joe Dalby sent a delicious 60 yard pass from right back arcing through the Bedians defence to Peck who controlled it and rounded the keeper to score.

Mellor were in control now but the passing was not as crisp as usual on a slightly bobbly pitch.

Barlow volleys

Peck's first goal


On 26 minutes Barlow set up Peck but his shot was blocked.

Peck then had another shot saved with difficulty by the Bedians keeper.

Craig Fairfield's slide rule pass put Peck in again and he slipped the ball across goal for what looked like a tap in for Dan Byrne but the lack of firm contact and a defender's presence saw the chance disappear.

Jack Kelly, who worked tirelessly all game, then missed a promising opening.

But Bedians were to suffer soon after as Peck netted a carbon copy second, toeing the ball past the keeper and going round him to slot home for 2-0 on 31 minutes.

Peck's second goal

Mellor threatened with every attack and Kelly shot wide from 22 yards.

Kelly and Peck then combined to put Barlow in on goal but his strike was saved.

Mellor effectively killed the game on 55 minutes when Dalby found Peck again with an excellent pass and he strode on to fire low under the keeper for 3-0.

Three minutes later Kelly sent a bending 25 yarder just a foot wide.

On 59 minutes Bruce Clarke came on for Peck and Ben Beer replaced Dom Randle in midfield.

Jamie McGregor, in Mellor's goal, a virtual spectator for most of the game so far, then had to go full length to make an excellent save from a Bedians long shot.

But most of the action was at the other end where Kelly's spin and shot brought another save from Bedians' keeper.

Bruce Clarke challenges

Peck completes his hat trick




Barlow, Fairfield and Kelly leap for a corner


Kelly made it 4-0 after a miscontrol by a Bedians defender, lashing the ball in low from 12 yards.

The striker was everywhere, hounding defenders and firing off shots.

But Mellor's next goal came from an unlikely source, a bullet header from Ben Beer after a Barlow cross.

Matt Cotton then replaced Dan Byrne and one of his first contributions was another long range pass that put Bruce Clarke through in the inside left channel to drill the ball home for 6-0.

Jack Kelly scores

Ben Beer scores

Bruce Clarke scores


The Seconds had no game.

The Thirds went to league leaders Whalley Range and lost 6-2, with Fred Keyte and Rick Axford (pen) netting.

The Fourths are now unbeaten in five after a gritty 1-1 draw away at Bury Amateurs 3rds, who are third in the table. Jimmy Archer scored.

Mellor are now ninth.






• Click return to latest News page




Matt Peck
Ben Beer
Jack Kelly
Fred Keyte
Jimmy Archer