Mellor cruised into the Stockport Senior Cup Final with an emphatic 6-0 win over Stockport Georgians Reserves.

After a tense and goalless first half, Mellor took the lead with a fortuitous goal when Ben Beer's cross sailed over the keeper and into the net.

But after that Mellor dominated and could easily have increased the margin of victory.

It was a wonderful, almost error-free performance, with slick passing, good defensive shape and lethal finishing.

The game started 20 minutes late after a car carrying referee Ian Battersby and his two assistants suffered a tyre blow out on the motorway.

Senior assistant James Wright eventually arrived and started in the middle, with the nominated referee taking over after 20 minutes.

Dan Byrne clears.


Mellor lined up with five at the back including Dave Whelan at centre-back.

Chris Coram, Joe Dalby and Adam Barlow were deployed in midfield, with Matt Peck and Jack Hilton up front.

Craig Fairfield was unlucky to be relegated to the bench.

Mellor started positively and in the early exchanges Matt Peck shot over from a good position.

From a Barlow corner Dave Whelan fired too high.

Hilton then engineered a shooting chance for Peck but his drive was deflected for a corner.

Chris Coram challenges


Mellor's back line seemed to have the measure of Georgians' strikers.

But from a free kick Jamie McGregor had to make an important save with his foot to divert a goal-bound header.

Mark Oldham was then caught in possession and the visitors fashioned a shooting chance but fired over.

Whelan then made an excellent interception from a right wing cross that spelt danger.

Jack Hilton had a shot deflected for a corner.

On 27 minutes Peck had the best chance of the game so far but shot too high.

A good four-man passing move by Georgians ended with a foul 22 yards out and from the free kick the men in red shot narrowly over the bar.

Mellor almost scored with a quick counter, Barlow winning the ball and feeding Hilton who got Peck away but the forward's shot was wide.

Ben Beer then found Barlow with a raking cross but his header was cleared.

Adam Barlow on the attack


Mellor had the wind at their backs in the second half and got off to the perfect start.

On 49 minutes, fed by Peck, Ben Beer's cross from the right went over the keeper's outstetched arms and into the far corner for 1-0.

The goal inspired the home side and within two minutes an underhit back pass by a Georgians' defender allowed the chasing Peck to run on and drill the ball low past the keeper for 2-0.

Mellor were rampant and a minute later a flowing move between Hilton and Peck ended with Hilton shooting just wide.

Georgians then attacked down their right and fired in a wicked cross along the byline which McGregor did well to palm away, Joe Dalby clearing his lines.

The visitors then had a man sent off after receiving a second yellow, for cuffing Hilton around the head.

He had earlier been booked for kicking the ball away.

Ben Beer's cross finds the net. 1-0

Matt Peck scores after an error. 2-0


Peck squandered a good chance on 64 minutes after a Hilton assist.

But Georgians' fate was sealed on 67 minutes when Hilton stole round the back and volleyed home a long diagonal free kick from Mark Oldham.

Ben Beer headed away for a corner and McGregor had to tip the dangerous flag kick away to safety.

Peck then went on a mazy run past three defenders only to see his shot cannon back off a post.

But he wasn't to be denied and minutes later rifled in his second and Mellor's fourth from 16 yards.

Jack Hilton scores. 3-0

Manager Si Dalby then made a triple substitution, Jack Kelly for Hilton, Bruce Clarke for Peck and Dom Randle for Joe Dalby.

Coram, Randle and Barlow began weaving triangles with Georgians chasing shadows.

On 77 minutes Barlow scored a fifth with a low, right-foot drive.

From Randle's cross Jack Kelly then sent a header just wide.

Barlow released Randle who drove into the area and netted arguably the goal of the game, beating the keeper with an audacious chip.

Mellor now play Poynton in the final at Stockport County's ground on a date to be confirmed.

Adam Barlow scores. 5-0

Jack Kelly's header is just off target

Dom Randle's classy chipped goal. 6-0

The Seconds went to Spurley Hey and lost 1-4, Danny Leibrick scoring.

The Thirds came back from 2-0 down away at Stretfordians to draw 2-2, Andy Kuehl and James Adamson netting.

The Fourths lost 1-4 at home to Parrs Wood Celtic Thirds.


































































• Click return to latest News page




Matt Peck
Ben Beer
Dom Randle
Danny Leibrick
James Adamson
Andy Kuehl