Rain caused the postponement of all matches apart from the Seconds v Chorlts at Wood Lane.

And Mellor took full advantage by recording a sixth straight win.

That makes seven wins and a draw in Mellor's last eight league games and a goal tally of 34-9. Championship form.

The latest three points sends Mellor to fourth in the table nine points behind leaders Signol.

It was only Chorlts second defeat of the season.

But the Manchester club have suffered the loss of a complete first team and to be fair this was the side that represeanted their Third Team three weeks ago.

In truth Mellor could have had double figures but a muddy pitch and tricky wind prevented free flowing football and there were plenty of unforced errors on both sides.

Mellor were without Moss, Pearce, Bass and Atherton.

But the side welcomed back Craig Fairfield at centre back alongside Joe Vickers.

Luke Jubb was again instrumental in most of Mellor's good attacking moments.

On six minutes his slide rule pass sent Carl Brindley clear and the forward's well struck shot was parried by the Chorlts' keeper only for Danny Leibrick to sky the rebound from a promising position.

On nine minutes Vickers should have scored with a back post header from Jubb's corner but he put it wide from two yards.

Jack Parr then shot wide from seven yards when a goal looked inevitable.

In his defence the bumpy surface didn't help.

Then on 18 minutes Brindley had to depart with a hamstring injury.

Parry was left to carry the fight up top, with Cooke coming on as a right wing substitute.

Parr then blasted the ball 'into the next county', according to the referee.

While your correspondent searched for it, Parry scored.

Then Cooke added a second from one of the best moves of the match.

Chorlts rarely threatened but Andy McFall in goal had to be alert to the long ball and the odd tricky cross in a swirling wind.

On 55 minutes Lee Power replaced Rob White in centre midfield and linked play well, holding the ball up under pressure and invariably finding a blue shirt left and right.

Chorlts tried manfully to force the issue but Mellor hit them on the break time and again.

On 60 minutes another flowing counter attack saw the ball swept left to right and as full back Jack Parr burst into the area he was unceremoniously bundled over.

Craig Fairfield gleefully fired home the penalty for 3-0.

There are matches on January 4th so please stay in touch with your manager and go easy on the festive fare.

That said, a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all Mellor players, officials and fans.








• Click return to latest News page




Will Parry, two in two for the Seconds
Jonny Cooke....on the scoresheet
Carl with a pulled hamstring
Craig Fairfield scored a penalty