Mellor Thirds will view this as three points dropped after losing to a side they had beaten 7-2 in the cup a week ago.

A combination of poor distribution and unusual frailties in defence was the side's undoing.

A defeat looked hugely improbable as Mellor started the game well.

Fred Keyte had the ball in the Moston Brook net in the first minutes, but was offside.

Armie tries to bulldoze through on goal


Steve Whelan was back in the centre of midfield for Mellor and linked play well, hardly ever misplacing his pass.

On four minutes he slid a perfect pass inside the full back for Matt McNulty to run on to but the winger's cross was deflected over.

Two minutes later a great flick from Ian Arnfield sent McNulty away again but once more his cross from the byeline was cleared.

McNulty then sent in a free kick which the Moston Brook keeper palmed away for a corner.

From the flag kick Arnfield connected with his head but the ball went straight to the keeper.

On 22 minutes, after great work by Fred Keyte, James Hanson put Mellor 1-0 up with a long range shot which the Moston keeper misread.

Brook's keeper claims a header from Ian Arnfield



Moston then put a chance just wide from a free kick.

On 33 minutes the visitors missed another sharp chance at the far post.

Mellor's passing, especially from the back, was unusually sloppy.

Instead of showing patience, too many players tried to force the issue with a long pass which on 3G whipped off the surface and went straight to the Moston keeper or out for a goal kick.

Jack Kuehl at right back rescued Mellor with two excellent tackles.

Moston had scarcely threatened.

But just after the break they drew level at 1-1, poking home after Mellor defenders and keeper Fletcher failed to deal with a loose ball.

Seven minutes later the visitors took the lead.

Mellor were now struggling to find the midfield fluency they had in the first half hour.

Arnfield was increasingly isolated at the front.

On 57 minutes Arnfield put Rick Axford clear but he chose to cut inside on his right foot rather than shooting and his eventual drive was blocked.

A minute later, from Rick Axford's corner, Arnfield sent a flick header just wide.

Another chance is palmed away

Arnie's glancing header goes wide


On 61 minutes Marcus McNulty replaced Fred Keyte.

But six minutes later Moston scored again, punishing Mellor for missed tackles.

Andy Kuehl replaced Jack Kuehl at right back on 75 minutes.

With five minutes left Rick Axford surged down the right but opted to shoot from a tight angle and hit the side netting.

Mellor were pressing now but without creating clear cut chances.

On 91 minutes Steve Baguley had an effort saved.

But deep into injury time he scored with a header from a Rick Axford corner.

There was barely time to kick off before the full time whistle.

The Firsts entertained South Manchester at Wood Lane and claimed all three points with a 2-1 win.

Mellor's Man of the Match Adam Barlow gave Mellor the lead, reacting first in the six yard box to drive the ball into the roof of the net.

But although South equalised, the game was one by an extraordinary 50 yard shot by Dave Whelan straight from the second half kick off.

The Seconds comfortably won a tricky fixture away at Rochdalians 3-0.

Jack Parr, Craig Fairfield (pen) and Jonny Cooke did the damage.

Matt Bass was Man of the Match.

The Fourths won at Brabyns 3-2 against Bury Amateurs Thirds, a side that had only previously lost once this season.

The win puts Mellor up to seventh in Division D.

Man of the Match Chris Millward netted twice and Danny Roberts was also on target.







• Click return to latest News page




Dave Whelan....amazing goal from the half way line for the Firsts
Craig Fairfield scored a penalty for the Seconds

James Hanson .....on target for the Thirds

Chris Millward....two more for the Fourths