Mellor Firsts inflicted a second battering of the season on neighbours Spurley Hey, taking the points 6-0, after a 5-1 away win earlier in the season.

Mellor fielded an ex Spurley player David Campbell, while Spurley fielded ex Mellor keeper Cody Wharton in goal.

The visitors did reasonably well in the first half to keep the home side at bay. But once the second goal went in after the break Spurley heads dropped and by the end they were in disarray. A sorry sight for a club that has regularly pushed for Premiership honours.

A series of poor challenges might easily have led to a couple of second yellow cards.

After a rather subdued first 15 minutes Campbell fed Dom Randle who shot wide from a good position.

A minute later Jack Hilton was fouled in the final third but referee Pete Doyle played on and Dave Whelan surged into the area to clinically finished with a low left foot drive.

Dave Whelan opens the scoring


Mellor's tails were up and a minute later Chris Coram found Randle with a superb through ball in the inside left channel but again he shot wide.

On 21 minute Randle was in again but Cody Wharton got a hand to his shot.

Spurley then broke away and Jamie McGregor finger-tipped a stinging shot onto the bar.

Mellor were well in control of the match. But that was a warning.

On 29 minutes Dave Whelan's shot was spilled by Wharton but no one was following up.

Peck then wriggled through but his shot was saved by Wharton.

On 39 minutes Spurley bungled a free kick just inside their own area and Mellor retrieved the ball and set up Whelan whose chip was too high.

On 40 minutes Hilton squared to Peck who should have scored but blazed over.

Manager Si Dalby's half time team talk was all about not letting Spurley back in and trying to secure a vital second goal.

He only had four minutes to wait before Hilton fired powerfully high into the net, after an assist from David Campbell.

Whelan then made it 3-0 with a tap in but was wrongly ruled offside after a cut back from Peck.

Whelan then set up Peck but he fired wide from a decent position.

Whelan finally scored his second, and Mellor's third, being put through one-on-one with Wharton.

On 64 minutes Paul Swann replaced Campbell.

Mellor were raiding at will now. On 67 minutes Adam Barlow's free kick found Randle in acres of space and he swept the ball home from nine yards.

Whelan then tested Wharton again with a dipping free kick. Peck might have made it 5-0, making his own shooting chance with a neat step over but Wharton saved.

On 70 minutes Hilton spurned a good chance, firing high.

But Spurley's reprieve was short lived. Dave Whelan cleverly shot into an almost empty net by taking a free kick quickly after getting the nod from the referee.

On 85 minutes Whelan unselfishly squared the ball to Peck for a tap in for 6-0 after a Paul Swann cross. Mark Oldham was Man of the Match.


Cody Wharton makes a save

Dom Randle scores

David Campbell shoots

Paul Swann and Jack Hilton attack a cross.

Wharton keeps out Dave Whelan's free kick

Whelan sets up Peck's goal


The Seconds recorded their first win of the season 6-4 away at Heaton Mersey. Mellor came back from 1-2 down to go 4-2 up before securing the points. Carl Brindley scored twice, Luke Jubb slotted a penalty and there were goals from Jack Parr, Lee Power and Nick Pearce. James Hanson was Man of the Match.

The Thirds lost 5-4 at home against Old Strets. Rick Axford scored a penalty, and the other scorers were Matt McNulty, Nick Broadway and Fred Keyte.

Some pictures follow courtesy of Mark Jordan.

The Fourths earned a point in a 4-4 draw with Chorltonians 5ths and are now up to Fifth in Division D. Danny Roberts, Kyle Davidson, James Robinshaw and Peter Carley scored.

Matt McNulty on the stretch

Mo Roberts

Fred Keyte

Mellor attack a corner

Axford's penalty







• Click return to latest News page




Dave Whelan, three goals and one assist
Mark Oldham, Firsts Man of the Match
Carl Brindley, two for the Seconds
Fred Keyte, a goal for the Thirds
Pete Carley, two in two for the Fourths