With the higher three teams away the Fourths moved their fixture to Wood Lane and secured their first win of the season with a 6-3 scoreline against AFC Oldham

Indeed after going a complete season without a league victory last campaign this was a welcome win for new manager Kyle Davidson.

The omens didn't look good when Oldham raced into a 2-0 lead on 41 minutes.

But the introduction of Man of the Match Luke Warburton changed Mellor's fortunes.

He scored one and set up another before the break to send Mellor in at half time all square.

Two more Warburton assists in the second half put the result beyond doubt.

Mellor started well and in the third minute had a four on one situation. The ball was played to the left wing where Danny Roberts' cross was cleared and a follow-up shot from Rob Jordan went wide.

On seven minutes Oldham missed a golden chance when Phil Brown couldn't get to a through ball but the striker put his effort wide.

Jimmy Archer got a header onto a Rob Jordan free kick on 18 minutes but put the chance wide.

On 20 minutes a left wing cross into Mellor's six yard box was not dealt with properly and an Oldham forward had a simple finish for 0-1.

Mellor Fourths 2013-14


Mellor were good going forward, with Archer linking play well. But the defence was rocky.

Ant Brown was booked for dissent.

On 38 minutes Jordan released Triece Davidson and his strongly driven shot was turned onto a post and away for a corner by Oldham's full stretch keeper.

A minute later Mellor's Phil Brown made a good save and Sy Gleave and Triece Davidson both had to throw their bodies in the way to block follow-up shots.

Triece Davidson then fed Dunc Bray who volleyed over from seven yards out.

It was Davidson's last meaningful act. He was injured soon after and subbed, Warburton entering the fray.

On 41 minutes another cross caused panic in Mellor's defence. The ball was half cleared but an Oldham shot on an angle crept in at Brown's right hand post for 0-2.

Warburton's reply was immediate.

Less than a minute later he picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and curled an unstoppable right foot shot high into the top right hand corner of the net for 1-2.

A minute later he slipped in Dunc Bray who made no mistake from 10 yards, burying the ball inside the left hand post.

Pete Carley is felled for a penalty which Dunc Bray netted


Just after the re-start Bray wriggled through but had his shot blocked.

But a minute later Warburton's cross from the right was fumbled by Oldham's keeper and Bray had a simple tap-in for 3-2.

On 51 minutes Mike White replaced a tiring Jimmy Archer.

And on 58 minutes new signing Pete Carley came on for Kyle Davidson.

Warburton's pace was causing Oldham's defence all kinds of problems.

On 59 minutes Mellor had a shot cleared off the Oldham line.

Then Bray connected on a Warburton corner but his effort was blocked for another flag kick.

On the hour another Warburton corner was headed home powerfully by Adam Sidebotham but the goal was ruled out as the ball had not been in the quadrant, claimed referee Anthony Rodgers.

Sidebotham was booked for dissent moments later.

Mellor's frustration was soon abated when Warburton released Carley to drive home for 4-2.

Paul Goodwin then replaced Ant Brown in the back four.

On 75 minutes Danny Roberts curled a 25 yarder over the keeper's head for 5-2.

Oldham hit back with a header from a right wing corner on 83 minutes for 5-3.

But Dunc Bray completed his hat trick on 84 minutes with a cool penalty after Carley had been upended.

Warburton then proved his defensive worth by kicking a final chance off the line on 87 minutes after Phil Brown had missed a cross.

Luke Warburton gives chase

Rob Jordan embarks on a dribble

Pete Carley tries an overhead kick

Dunc Bray volleys over. All pictured courtesy of Mark Jordan of Marple Bridge Photography


The Firsts were missing nine regulars for their visit to Bedians, where they won comfortably last seaon with Ben Wade hitting four.

This time they lost 3-2, with Jack Hilton and new signing Mike Myers scoring.

The Seconds welcomed back Paul Swann and Danny Leibrick and also fielded new signing Matthew Bass but lost 4-1 away against Urmston Town Firsts. Lee Power scored.

The Thirds went into second spot in Division B with a 1-0 away win at Bury Amateurs Reserves. Mo Roberts scored and was Mellor's Man of the Match.



• Click return to latest News page




Jack Hilton scored for the Firsts at Bedians
Lee Power scored for the Seconds after a goal last week for the Thirds

Mo Roberts, scored the winner for the Thirds and was Man of the Match.

Dunc Bray, scored a hat trick for the Fourths.
New signing Pete Carley, played and scored for the Fourths
Returning old boy Luke Warburton came on as a sub for the Fourths and scored.He was also Man of the Match.