Mellor Firsts ended the season in style with a 6-1 hammering of Bedians at Wood Lane.

The side finished sixth in the league with 46 points from 26 games and a goal difference of 18.

Last season Mellor also finished sixth with 40 points from 26 games and a goal difference of minus 1.

And as last season the Premiership was won by Whalley Range with Cheadle Hulme Villa second.

On paper Mellor looked to be slightly weakened for the visit of Bedians, with no Jamie McGregor, Dan Byrne, Chris Coram, Adam Barlow or Dom Randle.

But Joe Dalby filled in superbly in centre midfield and Luke Jubb knitted the play skilfully in the hole.

Most of the damage however was inflicted by Dave Whelan, who came from deep to net four first half goals.

Jack Hilton and Mark Oldham made up the scorers.

Mellor started brightly, passing well and moving intelligently off the ball.

Dave Whelan fired a free kick wide on four minutes to signal his intentions and two minutes later when Matt Peck galloped down the right, Whelan was there again firing the cross just wide.

On eight minutes Bedians' keeper might have seen red not yellow for upending Bruce Clarke 20 yards out.

But Whelan's free kick exacted full punishment and arrowed into the Bedians' net for 1-0.

Dave Whelan scores with a ferocious free kick


Quick thinking Whelan took a quick free kick on 12 minutes to release Bruce Clarke but the nippy striker shot wide.

Matt Cotton then surged out of defence and sent Matt Peck clear on the right with a 40 yard defence splitting pass but the Bedians' left back just managed to get back at him and his tackle resulted in a goal kick.

On 22 minutes Luke Jubb's clever through ball foxed the Bedians' defenders, who stood motionless as Whelan sprang from nowhere to round the keeper and tap home.

On 25 minutes a Matt Peck free kick caused consternation in the visitors' defence and was bundled away for a corner.

Three minutes later Peck worked a short corner and wriggled along the byline to cross for Whelan to complete his hat trick at the far post.

Whelan dances around the Bedians keeper to score


A long clearance then set up an exchange of passes between Clarke and Peck which ended in another incisive Peck cross but Clarke could not repeat Whelan's clinical finish and the chance went begging.

On 35 minutes Joe Dalby's clever pass to Clarke ended in the ball bouncing free from a tackle only to Whelan who chipped the keeper from 18 yards for 4-0.

Coincidentally Ben Wade netted four times when Mellor beat Bedians 5-2 in the corresponding away fixture.

Luke Jubb crosses

Bruce Clarke fails to convert at the far post


On 43 minutes Ben Beer found space on the right to cross to the far post but Jubb could not get a clean connection on his header and Bedians scrambled the ball clear.

Mellor began the second period in similarly hungry fashion.

On 47 minutes Clarke stole the ball from a Bedians' defender and surged towards the area only to be denied by a well timed tackle.

Mellor looked threatening with every attack and on 49 minutes, following a corner, the ball looped to Beer on the edge of the area but his volley flew wide.

On 55 minutes Jack Hilton ran across the area from the left wing and fired in a shot which the keeper could not hold but managed to push away for a corner,

On the hour mark James Hanson replaced Jubb, going into midfield and allowing Whelan to move forward.

Beer was getting forward regularly now on the right and on 73 minutes his looping cross hit the far post and came out.

Two minutes later Clarke's shot was blocked and in the next phase Whelan and Hilton combined well but this time Whelan's shot was off target.

On 78 minutes another raking pass from Cotton sent Peck away and he tormented his marker before cutting the ball back for Hilton to side foot home from 16 yards for 5-0.

Bedians grabbed a consolation goal.

But five minutes from time Mark Oldham curled a delicious free kick over the wall and into the top right hand corner from 23 yards for 6-1.

Luke Jubb tries to wriggle through the Bedians defence

Mellor on the defensive

Luke Jubb cannot connect with a clean header

Bruce Clarke tackled

Second half pressure on Bedians' goal

Bruce Clarke is tackled on the edge of the area

Luke Jubb's shot is blocked

Mark Oldham curls a free kick into the top corner


The Seconds lost 0-2 at home to Rochdalians at Brabyns Park.



• Click return to latest News page




Dave Whelan Man of the Match with four first half goals.
Mark Oldham....scored with a wonderful free kick
Jack Hilton netted in the second half