Mellor exacted full revenge for a 2-1 away reverse against high flying Newton with a gritty display.

The away side dominated the first half.

But Mellor held firm and switching Matt Peck from right to left in the second period helped to inspire a thoroughly deserved victory.

Mellor once again proved that on their day they are a match for anyone in the Premier Division.

The home side lined up with Dom Randle in midfield replacing the suspended Dave Whelan alongside Adam Barlow taking the place of the unavailable Chris Coram.

After five minutes Matt Jamieson lobbed a pass to Mark Oldham who outpaced a chasing defender but could not get proper contact on the ball and the chance was lost.

Three minutes later, however, Mellor took the lead when referee Pete Tupman correctly adjudged that a Newton player had handled the ball in a melee following a left wing corner.

Jamieson left the keeper motionless as the ball flew inside his right hand post for 1-0.

On 11 minutes Newton wasted a good chance from a right wing cross with a shot straight at Kev Cooney.

Two minutes later Cooney made a good save from close range but as he chased the loose ball he brought down Newton's attacker and the men in blue and yellow gleefully converted the resulting penalty.

Adam Barlow's dangerous cross was chested to Newton's keeper by a defender.

A minute later Barlow let fly from 25 yards but the shot was a foot too high.








Jack Hilton challenges for the ball watched by Dom Randle

Mark Oldham spurns a great chance after five minutes

The corner that led to Mellor's penalty

Matt Jamieson makes no mistake from the spot


On 21 minutes Ben Beer misjudged the bounce of the ball on the right flank and a Newton forward set off on a 40 yard run which ended in a searching cross that Mellor cleared for a corner.

Mellor's Man of the Match Matt Cotton headed the flag kick clear.

In the next attack Jamieson crossed from the left and a Newton defender's miscue set up Hilton for a sharp chance but his hastily executed shot went over the bar.


A flying punch clear by Kev Cooney

Matt Peck shoots from range


On 24 minutes Newton had a shot on the turn which just cleared the angle of post and bar by a foot.

Newton's number 9 (who had committed an unseen red card offence in the earlier game) then lunged at Kev Cooney and was justly given a yellow.

Newton had more possession but Cooney was not called upon to make a telling save until the 42nd minute when he fisted away a dangerous cross under pressure.

The longer the game went on the less of a threat Newton posed.

Cotton and Tom Byrne were excellent in the middle of Mellor's defence.

And the neat footwork and vision of Randle and Barlow in midfield were now creating opportunies in the final third.

Peck's switch of wings away from Newton's resilient right back to test the more flaky left back began to pay dividends.

Under pressure Newton's nerves began to fray and there was an unseemly row between the right back and his manager as well as arguments with team mates.

On 61 minutes a Peck corner came through to Cotton at the back post but he choked his shot from eight yards and the ball was cleared.

Four minutes later a clever Barlow dribble set up a shooting chance for Peck but the ball flew too high.

Rob White replaced Dan Byrne at left back on 70 minutes.

Four minutes later Barlow curled a wonderful free kick from 24 yards inside the keeper's left hand post but had not seen that the referee had insisted it was indirect.

Hilton fired in a shot on 78 minutes but Newton's keeper, now by far the busier, saved.

Peck then had a shot saved.

It looked like the game was headed for 1-1. But on 83 minutes Jamieson let fly with a snap shot from the edge of the area and the ball took a slight deflection to send it past the helpless Newton keeper.

Craig Frisby replaced Mark Oldham on 84 minutes and Mellor comfortably saw the game out with no further alarms.

Peck had more impact on the left

Matt Jamieson smashes the winner in the 83rd minute


The Seconds won a great point away against Hollingworth OB's Firsts in a 2-2 draw. Chris Porter scored both.

It was 0-0 at half time. Mellor went 0-1 down to a penalty, equalised and then went 1-2 down before Danny Hayes hit a post with a free kick and Porter put in the rebound.

The Thirds game against Burnage was abandoned after an opposing player broke a leg on 35 minutes.

The Fourths, seeking their first win, lost 0-1 at home to Old Strets in the Hellawell Shield.

Rob Jordan was Mellor's star man.




• Click return to latest News page




Matt Cotton...Firsts' Man of the Match
Matt Jamieson...two goals for the Firsts

Chris Porter ...two goals for the Seconds


Rob Jordan...Fourths' Man of the Match