The forecast heavy rain stayed away but there was a thunderbolt...from Dave Whelan to win the match in the 82nd minute.

It was no more than Mellor deserved against table toppers Chorltonians, especially for a second half showing in which the home side dominated.

There were big performances all over the pitch.

Mellor stay eighth. But could catch Chorltonians if they win their two games in hand.

Mellor welcomed back Matt Cotton at centre half and his Man of the Match performance inspired the side.

The whole back four provided an excellent barrier to Cody Wharton

Jonny Cooke worked tirelessly on the right and later up front when new signing Kevin Cooney went off ill.

The opening exchanges were cagey and there was no real drama until the 15th minute when Matt Jamieson's snap shot was turned around the post for a corner.

From the corner Jamieson fed Chris Coram, ghosting into the area, but his shot flew wide.

On 18 minutes a well positioned Matt Cotton was an inch away from making contact in the area with a Matt Jamieson free kick.

Cody Wharton made the first of three fine saves on 21 minutes, re-adjusting his body to tip a free kick onto the crossbar and over.

From the corner Paul Swann headed clear under pressure.

On 25 minutes Jack Parr replaced Cooney who was feeling unwell. Parr came on at right side midfield and Cooke went up front.

Wharton made another good save on 35 minutres and three minutes later was called upon to make a double save.

Chorlts might have shaded the first half on chances. But the second period belonged to Mellor.

Matt Jamieson fired a free kick wide on 61 minutes.

Then Chorlts missed a sharp chance at the other end.

On 71 minutes Bruce Clarke replaced Jamieson and with his first touch set up a goal for Cooke but it was ruled offside.

Mellor were enjoying the majority of possession now and Coram tested the keeper from 20 yards but he just hung on.

Seconds later Cooke saw his shot saved by the Chorlts keeper.

Dave Whelan then put an inviting pass into the path of Clarke but the keeper just got to the ball in time and smothered the forward's effort.

Swann then almost got Clarke away but the pass was just too long.

With eight minutes left Parr won a tackle and slipped the ball to Dave Whelan whose shot flew into the net just inside the keeper's right hand post.

Chorlts tried to rally and put two dangerous crosses acrossed the Mellor side yard box.

But Mellor might have extended their lead with two late breakaways.

Pictures from the match follow. The better ones are by Matt McNulty.

All other games were rained off.

Mellor Thirds benefitted from Milton Reserves beating second placed Newton Heath Reserves 4-1 away in Division B.

There is a committee meeting on Monday at 8pm in the Marple Tavern.


Matt Jamieson goes up for a header

Mellor on the attack

Jonny Cooke gets in a cross

Cooke controls the ball

Cooke on the charge

Chris Coram wins the midfield battle

Coram goes past his man

Chorlts clear a corner

Dave Whelan brings the ball down

Matt Jamieson

Kevin Cooney closes in on goal

Cooney tests the keeper

Kevin Cooney

Paul Swann clears

Coram shoots

Cooney challenges a defender

Ben Beer puts in a dangerous cross


Jack Parr just cannot reach a through pass




• Click return to latest News page




Dave Whelan...scored the winner
Matt Cotton...Man of the Match
Bruce Clarke...made his First Team debut as a sub
Kevin Cooney....made his First Team debut but had to come off ill