The Eagle landed all right.

For the second consecutive week the side from Gorton and Abbey Hey registered a 10-0 victory, probably a record in the Lancashire and Cheshire League.

Incredibly for a side doing so well they turned up with only 11 men and no substitutes.

After last week's terrific win away at Rochdalians Mellor Seconds looked surprisingly sluggish from the start.

They went 1-0 down in four minutes. Cody Wharton saved a shot but the ball ran loose and Ben Boardman's attempted clearance only found a blue shirted opponent who accepted the gift.

On 12 minutes Dom Simpson made a good run down the left and crossed but Carl Brindley was lawfully blocked off as he tried to shoot.

On 15 minutes Terry Boon replaced Jack Parr who aggravated an old calf injury.

Boon was to be the one Mellor player who acquitted himself well, playing neat passes and retaining possession.

On 23 minutes Eagle made it 2-0.

Nine minutes later Chris Porter replaced the injured Tom Dunning at left back.

Jack Parr finds a colleague


A minute later Cody Wharton came to the edge of his area to use his body to knock the ball past an Eagle forward.

But his subsequent clearance went straight to an opponent who chipped in from 30 yards.

Wharton made a good tip-over save on 38 minutes.

But Eagle made it 4-0 with a thumping 25 yarder before the break.

Alex 'Incey' Young strides forward


Eagle almost made it 5-0 on 54 minutes but with two players confronting Wharton with no defender in sight they managed to trigger an offside decision.

On 55 minutes Carl Brindley had a chance after a strong run but his shot flew wide.

Scott Cassidy in typical midfield terrier mode



Eagle made it 5-0 on 58 minutes with an unchallenged header from a left wing free kick.

Danny Hayes came on for Luke Jubb on 63 minutes, taking Alex Young's place in midfield and sending him into the forward line.

On 72 minutes Dom Simpson tried to head the ball back to Cody Wharton but it fell short and the keeper was stranded as an Eagle forward nipped in to make it 6-0.

The visitors added goals on 73, 75, 80 and 86 minutes.

All hands to the pump in Mellor's defence

Mellor defend a corner

Cody Wharton makes a fine save

Carl Brindley lines up a shot...but it flies wide



Ironically at the same time, Mellor Firsts were thrashing Eagle Reserves 10-1 away in an early round of the Stockport Senior Cup.

Ben Wade and Jonny Cooke scored hat tricks and there was one each for Matt Jamieson, Jack Hilton, Danny Leibrick and Michael Atherton.

The Thirds entertained Stocs Reserves at Brabyns and took all three points to regain top spot in Division B with a 3-0 win.

Jimmy Archer, Ian Arnfield and Tom Bradley scored.

Lewis Jeffs was Man of the Match.

Below are some pictures from Mark Jordan.

Mellor Thirds v Stocs Seconds

Matt McNulty on the ball

A (bum) cracking shot from Ian Arnfield

Up for a header

Arnie in the thick of it

Matt McNulty in the tackle


The Fourths were away to top of the table Trafford United Reserves but produced a combative display in a 3-1 defeat. Danny Roberts scored for Mellor and Phil Brown was Man of the Match.

There will be no training on Tuesday due to the Manchester City v Ajax match.




• Click return to latest News page




Terry Boon....played well for the Seconds
Ben Wade...a hat trick for the Firsts
Jonny the bench to score three for the Firsts

Jimmy Archer...scored for the Thirds


Phil Brown... Man of the Match for the Fourths