Mellor Firsts produced a Halloween nightmare allowing Whalley Range to spirit away all three points.

The display left a bad smell but not as bad as the stinkbombs the visitors exploded in the Wood Lane dressing rooms after the game.

Range who had most of the ball also decided to take it home afterwards.

Whalley are not the force they were and there was no better chance to beat the Premiership champions.

But too many Mellor players were off form on the day and Range had most of the luck that was going.

Their two full backs were excellent and Mellor seemed to find the head of Range's defensive midfielder with depressing frequency.

Mellor began well and took the lead on nine minutes from a Danny Leibrick corner. Dave Whelan flicked it on and Paul Swann's header turned the ball in.

Range missed their first good chance on 11 minutes. Then a minute later Dave Whelan headed off the line from a corner while guarding the right hand post.

On 13 minutes Range broke clear down the middle but the forward fired over.

Mellor could not make anything from two free kicks.

Then on 17 minutes Mellor's keeper Luke Smith, blinded by the sun, could only turn a cross onto his crossbar and the ball was bundled home for 1-1.

Range missed another good chance on 29 minutes.

But Mellor, who were well in the game at this stage, regained the lead on 32 minutes, Jack Hilton firing in a long range effort which the keeper allowed to slip under his body.

The lead lasted just two minutes, Range sending over a long right wing cross which hit the far post and crossed the line with keeper Smith stranded.

On 36 minutes Mellor had a great opportunity to make it 3-2. The Range keeper muffed a kick out and Danny Leibrick had an unchallenged run in on goal but he put his shot wide of the far left hand post.

Range duly punished the home side seconds before the break with another long right wing cross which was met by a forward's head, stealing in from the left to steer the ball inside the right hand post.

Range had the ball in the net again on 50 minutes but via the hand of a forward who was duly booked.

New signing Michael Atherton then replaced Ben Wade up front on 55 minutes.

Michael Atherton

He looked sharp but did not receive a great deal of support.

Matt Peck came on for Jonny Cooke on 63 minutes but Mellor were unable to produce an attack that tested Range's keeper.

Range missed another great chance on 69 minutes.

But a minute later Mellor's defence failed to clear its lines and Range made it 4-2.

On 76 minutes Dave Moss replaced the hobbling Dave Whelan.

On 80 minutes Mellor finally produced a move of quality, Peck marauding down the right and crossing deep for Leibrick to cut the ball back but Hilton's shot was blocked.

Range missed again on 87 minutes but finished the game the stronger of the teams.

The Seconds achieved a significant win 2-0 away at Rochdalians, a happy hunting ground for Alex Wharton's team.

Craig Fairfield with a penalty and Jack Parr scored and Ben Boardman was Man of the Match.

The Thirds lost 1-2 at Bedians, Lewis Jeffs netting.

The Fourths lost 1-3 at Strets, Danny Roberts scoring from a free kick. Adam Sidebotham was Mellor's star man.

Congratulations to Sean Standen who announced his forthcoming wedding to Julie on October 24th 2013.

• Click return to latest News page




Paul Swann, headed goal for the Firsts
Craig Fairfield, crucial penalty for the Seconds
Jack Parr scored for the Seconds
Lewis Jeffs...a goal for the Thirds
Adam Sidebotham, Man of the Match for the Fourths