Mellor Firsts lost a bruising encounter away at Newton 2-1 after losing keeper Luke Smith at half time to injury.

Substitute keeper Dom Simpson produced heroics but could not prevent the two headed goals from corners that cancelled out a superb first half strike from Jack Hilton.

Newton might have had a man red carded late in the match but the referee failed to spot the player deliberately hack down Mark Oldham from behind off the ball.

Newton produced some early pressure and Luke Smith made a comfortable save in the first minute. On five minutes Hilton tried to thread a ball through to Jonny Cooke on the chase but the home keeper fly kicked clear.

Before the game Mellor waited 20 minutes for the hosts to locate someone to unlock the changing rooms.

But the men in blue took only 14 minutes to unlock the Newton defence.

Ben Beer at right back sent a long pass down the channel to Cooke who moved it to Hilton for the striker to crash an unstoppable volley beyond Newton's keeper.

Newton had a goal correctly ruled out for offside on 23 minutes.

On 27 minutes Peck almost got Dave Whelan away but the on-rushing keeper got there first.

Mark Oldham blasted a free kick too high on 33 minutes from a promising position, after consecutive cynical fouls on Peck and Whelan, for which Newton's left back was booked.

On 37 minutes Luke Smith was injured saving a shot and was still prone when a follow up drive was deflected for a corner.

After lengthy treatment Smith resumed in some discomfort.

Newton headed a 39th minute corner over. On 44 minutes Smith made a fine save from a long shot. Then in the next minute made a further save as the ball was eventually hacked off Mellor's goalline.

The referee played six minutes of first half injury time.

At the break Smith was replaced by Simpson who was fouled in his first task.

On 62 minutes Rob White set Whelan away in the inside left channel but his cross was cleared.

Four minutes later Newton equalized from a corner that should have been a goal kick.

On 69 minutes the Newton keeper muffed a clearance and Hilton tried to find the empty net from range but fired wide.

Two minutes later the Newton No 1 limped off with a hamstring injury.

On 73 minutes Dave Moss replaced Cooke, who had worked hard for little reward.

Simpson made a great save, plunging to his right to turn the ball away for a corner. But in the 74th minute he was beaten by another header from a corner.

The defence should really have given him better protection.

On 80 minutes Craig Frisby replaced Leibrick.

Mellor tried to pressure the Newton goal and created two dangerous situations but the ball would not drop kindly.

Simpson made another good save on 89 minutes. Again the referee played six minutes of added time but Mellor could not find an equalizer.

Jonny Cooke crosses

Hilton celebrates his goal.

Whelan tries his luck

Matt Peck makes a sharp turn

Peck crosses

Keeper and defender deny Whelan

A Mellor free kick sails over


The Seconds' game at Wood Lane was rained off.

The Thirds hammered Staly Lions 6-0 in the first mini-league game in the Whitehead Cup.

The Fourths beat Chorltonians in the first mini-league game of the Hellawell Shield 3-1 with goals from Jon Crosgrove, Dunc Bray and Danny Roberts.

Remember to pay your membership fee please.

We have tickets at £15 for Manchester City v Ajax. They are £35 tickets in Block 101 of the East Stand (lower).

Below are some photographs from Mark Jordan (of Marple Bridge Photography) of the Thirds' game.


Jimmy Archer

Stu Thorley

Marcus McNulty



• Click return to latest News page




Jack Hilton, scored a super volley.
Dom Simpson bravely went in goal after Luke Smith's injury
Kev Murray, two for the Thirds
Danny Roberts scored for the Fourths