Mellor Firsts scored five for the second consecutive league game to plunder three points on their bogey away ground.

Ben Wade was the hero, scoring four, including two penalties.

But it was an excellent team performance from Mellor, who proved the old adage that football is a passing game.

Even when twice behind Mellor stuck to their principles, didn't panic and moved the ball precisely around the pitch.

As the second half progressed huge gaps began to appear in the Bedians defence and the margin of victory could easily have doubled had Wade, Jack Hilton, Dom Randle and Danny Leibrick been more clinical.

If Mellor win their two games in hand they can go top of the Premiership.

Before the game the omens were not good.

Mellor were missing Ben Beer on holiday, Matt Peck (unavailable) and suffered late cry-offs Josh Granite (injury) and Rob White and Dave Whelan (sick) as well as long term absentee Matt Jamieson.

Mark Oldham came in at centre-back, Paul Swann moved to right back, Jack Parr went onto the right flank and Dom Randle, nursing a badly bruised leg, started with Chris Coram in centre midfield.

In bright sunshine Bedians started confidently and went 1-0 up in six minutes. Dan Byrne at left back, who had a good game, momentarily lost concentration and allowed the ball to skip away from him and the Bedians forward pounced to slot home.

On 15 minutes Mellor were level, thanks to a softish penalty.

Jack Hilton ran onto a through ball but lifted his shot over the bar moments before being clattered by the Bedians keeper.

Referee Roy Bowden was adamant that it was a foul and Ben Wade coolly drove the ball inside the right hand post.

Wade scores his first, from the spot.


On 21 minutes Hilton made another surging run onto the ball as it rebounded from the Bedians defence but shot over from 22 yards.

Leibrick and Wade put Bedians under pressure


On 24 minutes Paul Swann threw himself in front of a Bedians forward to block a certain goal.

Then a minute later Wade was through one-on-one with the keeper who managed to knock the shot for a corner with his right leg.

A Mellor corner

Bedians' keeper denies Wade


Bedians almost went ahead on 27 minutes, breaking away only to fire high and wide.

The home side seemed sharper in the tackle in this period and picked up most of the 50-50 balls.

Luke Smith rescued Mellor on 31 minutes, turning a goalbound shot over the bar at full stretch.

Hilton got away on 35 minutes but Bedians keeper thwarted him with a good save.

The striker then turned provider, slipping an excellent ball to Leibrick who was blocked off before he could get his shot away.

On 38 minutes Dan Byrne tried to beat a forward 30 yards out but was robbed and the attacker planted the ball inside the left hand post for 2-1.

But Mellor equalised from the spot after Leibrick was tripped, Wade firing his second penalty the same way as the first and happily seeing the ball cannon off the right hand post and over the line.

Wade fires home penalty No. 2

Wade shoots over at the start of the second period


Mellor started the second period in determined mood and Bedians seemed to wilt.

Parr fed Wade on 50 minutes but the striker lifted his shot over.

A minute later Hilton fired wide in a good position.

On 60 minutes Tom Byrne sent a ranking 45 diagonal pass to the right wing where Leibrick outpaced the defence but waited too long and saw his intended cross blocked.

Mellor were dominant now and on 62 minutes Hilton broke away and unselfishly squared the ball left for Wade to tap home for 3-2 to complete his hat trick.

Hilton sets up Wade for 3-2.


It was now one-way traffic towards Bedians goal.

On 63 minutes Hilton was through again but the Bedians keeper saved.

Two minutes later Leibrick crossed and Hilton fired wide.

On 72 minutes Leibrick was released again, only to fire straight at the keeper.

Five minutes later Leibrick fed Dom Randle who shot wide.

On 78 minutes Dave Moss replaced Parr.

Mark Oldham then put a free kick just over.

Mark Oldham's free kick clears the bar


But for all Mellor's domimance Bedians almost equalised on 81 minutes, a forward chipping Smith but seeing the ball rebound off the crossbar.

A minute later the game was over, Hilton setting up Wade for number 4.

Wade was then brought off, replaced by Andy Given.


Wade subbed after hitting four.


And within a minute it was 5-2, a stunning right footer from Hilton on the run


Bedians' keeper sticks out a foot and deflects Randle's shot onto a post


Leibrick then slipped in Dom Randle whose carefully chosen shot was deflcted onto a post by the keeper's outstretched foot and cleared.

Sub Given almost scored a sixth, poking the ball just wide from Hilton's pass on 89 minutes.

A solid all round performance from Mellor, which owed much to the link up play of Randle and the coolness of the back four, especially Tom Byrne and Mark Oldham.

The Seconds hosted Chorltonians at Wood Lane and lost 2-0.

The Thirds' game was called off after the opposition - Newton Heath Res - could only field seven players.

The Fourths drew 4-4 at Brabyns against Bury Amateurs Thirds, thanks to a last minute Matt McNulty penalty.

Mellor went 2-0 with goals from Nathan Fitzpatrick and Man of the Match Sam Jamieson.

But by 35 minutes they were 3-2 down.

Mike White equalised with a header from Paul Telfer's pass.

But the visitors went 4-3 up before McNulty's late drama.

Here are some pictures, courtesy of Mark Jordan.


McNulty's late penalty


Sam Jamieson in a sandwich

Phil Brown

Jamo shoots

Mike White

Mellor on the attack

Matt Jamieson

Jamieson fires another

Ant Brown

Mellor's defence

Paul Telfer




• Click return to latest News page




Ben Wade...4 goals for the Firsts
Tom Fletcher...Man of the Match for the Seconds
Matt McNulty scored a last minute penalty for the Fourths













beaten 5-0