Torrential rain which started 10 minutes into Mellor Firsts' opening home league game against Newton at Wood Lane, eventually caused the match to be abandoned after 24 minutes.

The game will have to be replayed.

Newton hit the post after three minutes. But two minutes later Luke Jubb just failed to get a firm header on a flashing right wing cross from Rob White.

Jack Parr's cross then found Paul Swann whose header was tipped over.

On 10 minutes Dave Whelan put Mellor 1-0 up from a quickly taken free kick as Newton were still building their wall.

Then the heavens opened and with the ball not rolling properly referee Pete Tupman had no option but to call the game off.

Paul Swann surges forward

Jack Hilton attacks

Consternation in the Newton defence.


The Seconds travelled to Whalley Range and lost 3-1. Ian Arnfield scored. It was a tight game and could have gone either way. Mellor scored first but Whalley hit back. Their final goal was a last minute penalty.

Mellor played very well and defended as a unit. The side worked hard at its passing game, working the ball out from the back and opening up the opposition defence on numerous occasions... but it was never easy.

Whalley Range had a strong, physical team and closed Mellor down quickly. George Sherwood (MoM), Hynes, Dunning, Cassidy, King and Maloney were outstanding, but everyone did well.

Cody Wharton made some fine saves, a couple point blank, when it seemed they would score, and he tipped one powerful drive on to the bar late on.

Arnfield was unlucky not to open the scoring on 15 mins, with an audacious volley from 40 yards but it bounced oddly and over the bar. However, he did open the scoring on 20 mins, rifling the ball into the top right corner from 25 yards.

Range equalised on 35 minutes direct from a free kick and took lead with 15 left from a corner, an unchallenged header which went in off the post. They wrapped the game up with a minute to go with a penalty.

The Fourths had a friendly in Brabyns against Strets which ended 2-2. James Robinshaw and Jordan Cassidy scored. Mike White was Man of the Match with Sie Moores also starring.




• Click return to latest News page




Ian Arnfield, scored for the Seconds