Mellor produced a solid display to overcome Manchester League opponents Salford Victoria.

With Ben Beer, Mark Oldham and Craig Fairfield solid at the back, Dave Whelan making the game look effortless in centre midfield and Jack Hilton posing a regular threat up front the visitors surprised their higher status opponents.

On the 3G artificial turf at Salford Sports Village Vics forced two early corners.

But Mellor took the lead on three minutes when Chris Coram slotted a pass to Hilton who drilled home low into the far left hand corner.

Coram lasted only three more minutes, limping off with a knock to be replaced by Dave Moss. On 10 minutes Vics fashioned an excellent move which ended in a left wing cross which flashed dangerously across Mellor's six yard box.

Mark Oldham replaced an injured George Sherwood on 12 minutes as Vics pressed again, crossing from the left and forcing Craig Fairfield to concede a corner.

On 16 minutes Luke Smith made the first of several fine saves, plunging low to his right. Rob White then had to leave the field temporarily with a contact lens problem and was replaced by Danny Leibrick with Matt Peck having to fill in at right back.

On 19 minutes Luke Smith made another good save. But a minute later Jack Hilton broke away drew the keeper and squared to Luke Jubb who contrived to shoot wide from 20 yards with the goal gaping.

On 23 minutes Ben Beer was unusually caught in possession and a Vics forward ran clear but Luke Smith stood up to make the save. Two minutes later Dave Whelan curled a powerful free kick just wide after a foul on Moss.

On 32 minutes Luke Jubb fed Dom Simpson on the left and the flying winger strode on to send a left footed cross shot into the far corner for 2-0.

Rob White then returned to take up his full back berth, Peck moved to the right wing and Leibrick switched to the left flank.

Vics broke away on 35 minutes but Ben Beer blocked a fierce drive. A minute later Whelan released Leibrick who got to the byline and sent over a teasing cross which a stretching Hilton just couldn't guide into the net.

On 37 minutes Vics pulled one back, forcing the ball in at the near post after a right wing free kick.

Whelan then found Leibrick whose shot was just too high.

Mellor started the second period with a corner which saw Jack Hilton's header saved. Luke Smith saved again and then Whelan came from nowhere to rob a Vics forward on the edge on the box as he ran clean through.

Luke Jubb was causing the Vics defenders a few problems and he got round the back on 57 minutes only to see his cross scrambled clear.

On 61 minutes a long clearance reached Jubb who slipped Simpson in but the youngster rushed his shot and it flew too high.

Simpson was in again on 73 minutes but this time he took too long and was robbed.

Mark Oldham had to flick the ball away as Vics worked a good position on 78 minutes. Hilton then sent Simpson through again but he shot over.

Gaps were now appearing in Vics' defence as they went in search of an equaliser. In the closing moments Leibrick took a short corner to Jubb whose cross was turned in by Craig Fairfield for 3-1.

On a nearby grass pitch Mellor Seconds drew with Salford Vics Seconds 2-2, Joe Maloney and Steve King scoring.

Hilton draws the keeper and squares for Jubb who misses the target

Dom Simpson goes close

Dave Whelan's free kick is a yard wide

Matt Peck takes on the Vics defence

Dom Simpson makes it 2-0 to Mellor with a clever cross shot

Jack Hilton threatens on the flank

Danny Leibrick fires high

A good catch from Luke Smith under pressure

Mellor's mean defence

Ben Beer heads a Mellor corner over in the closing stages

Smith again to the rescue



• Click return to latest News page




Former Mellor Junior George Sherwood, game time at right back.

Dom Simpson, scored one but might have had a hat trick.
Jack Hilton, a constant threat up front