A new season is underway with friendlies


Preparations for the 2012-13 season continued on Saturday 11 August with three friendlies. The Firsts beat Parrs Wood Celtic 7-0 away. The Seconds won 3-2 against Moorside Rangers Firsts away and the Thirds drew 2-2.

The Seconds were without a few key players but produced an excellent display of controlled, passing football to overcome Moorside Rangers. The team from Agecroft beat Mellor twice in back-to-back league games in October 2011.

Rangers started brightly and missed a good chance with the first move of the match.

On two minutes Joe Maloney put in a header which was easily saved.

Newcomer Ben Wade then set up Ian Arnfield whose clever lofted shot just cleared the bar.

Rangers then missed a headed chance from a corner.

On seven minutes Mellor were refused what looked like a clear penalty when Wade's trailing leg was hacked away from him as he shaped to shoot.

Mellor were beginning to control the game, moving the ball easily, mainly to the right wing where Christian Hynes and Jack Parr were linking well.

Then on 15 minutes, rather against the run of play, Rangers took the lead.

On 19 minutes Lewis Jeffs had a shot comfortably saved.

But a minute later Mellor levelled when Hynes found Wade who powered in from the right and buried a right-foot shot into the far corner.

Moorside's right winger was tormenting Mellor's left flank and Tim Parker had to be alert to clear the danger on 25 minutes.

On 30 minutes Scott Cassidy almost put Jack Parr in but the Rangers keeper was swiftly out to hack clear.

Wade then made it 2-1 with a very similar goal to his first, riding a tackle as he came in from the right and finding the far left hand corner of the net again.

On 31 minutes Mark Smith replaced Parr as the first of a number of rolling substitutions.

On 35 minutes Rangers equalised again and once more the damage was done on Mellor's left flank, the winger cutting back a cross which was driven home from close range at the near post.

Moorside's tails were up and Marc Green had to make a superb double handed save on 40 minutes.

On 43 minutes Wade almost completed his hat trick, running clear and trying to chip the keeper who stood up and made the save.

On 44 minutes Lewis Jeffs had a header which was just tipped over.

Hynes began the second half with a good long range effort that flew just wide.

On 49 minutes Parker again cleared under pressure.

A minute later Jeffs had to leave the field with a calf injury.

Craig Fairfield's rare error on 55 minutes almost put Rangers in for a third but their close range header was wide of the target.

Four minutes later a surging Jack Parr run set up new boy Mark Smith, whose well struck shot whistled wide.

On 67 minutes Tim Parker had to leave the field with a damaged wrist and was replaced by Alex Wharton. He went to right back and Hynes moved to centre back.

A minute later Wade scored the winner. Parr's long range shot was fumbled, Ian Arnfield made a nuisance of himself in the area and the ball ran to Wade who drilled it home.

Arnfield missed an easy chance late on as Mellor saw out the match wuthout too many alarms for Marc Green in goal.

The Firsts' scorers against Parrs Wood were Moss(3), Cooke, King, Beer and Leibrick.


Ben Wade crosses

Wade is tripped for a penalty that was not given

Joe Maloney gets in a header

Lewis Jeffs' header is tipped over

Jack Parr and Ian Arnfield threaten

Wade powers through to drill in his second goal

Wade is denied a first half hat trick by this save









• Click return to latest News page




Ben Wade, scored a hat trck for the Seconds in his Mellor debut.

Mark Smith, another new face at the club.
Old face Marc Green returned to keep goal for Mellor Seconds