Firsts hammer 7 past South Manchester, Fourths beaten


Mellor Firsts completed their league campaign and secured third spot in the Premiership with a 7-1 mauling of South Manchester at Wood Lane.

It was ample revenge for a 3-4 reverse at South Manchester earlier in the season. Mellor are rueing drawn games which saw them fail to overhaul Cheadle Hulme Villa for a runners-up spot, a team they beat twice this season.

Mellor were missing key players and gave a debut at right back to Second Teamer Andy Kuehl, who produced a tidy display and Third Teamer Mat Molden who came on as a second half sub at centre back and did well too.

The game, in warm sunshine with a strong wind blowing diagonally across the pitch from corner to corner, started sluggishly.

Matt Peck almost engineered an early goal on 16 minutes when he danced down the right and cut the ball back but Carl Brindley did not get a good contact and the chance evaporated.

A minute later Jack Hilton almost put Brindley in again but a defender blocked the pass. On 18 minutes, however, South Manchester took the lead, breaking quickly on the right and firing a shot across the face of the goal and in off the far post.

Their joy lasted two minutes. Dave Whelan latched onto man of the Match Chris Coram's perceptive pass on the left wing. He had his shirt pulled but the referee played an excellent advantage and Whelan jinked along the byline before crossing for Jack Hilton to bundle the ball in at the near post.

Three minutes later Coram bent a terrific free kick around the South wall from 22 yards and although the keeper, diving to his left, got a hand to it he could only deflect the effort into the net.

On 25 minute Andy Kuehl got to the byline but his cross lacked power and was cut out.

On 29 minutes Matt Peck's persistence forced a corner. From the kick Craig Fairfield returned the ball and it was cleared only to Ben Beer 30 yards out and his sweetly struck shot flew too high.

Peck was tormenting the South defence on the right and his run and cross on 32 minutes saw Brindley fire home high to the keeper's right.

Three minutes later Peck was the provider again, setting up Hilton to make it four with a clinical finish.

South were chasing shadows as Mellor sprayed the ball left and right. When the did get possession Jack Parr was there to break up play.

Two minutes after the re-start Peck fed Whelan who drove wide from 22 yards.

A telling run from Whelan in the inside left channel ended with a cut back for Peck who gleefully drove in number five from seven yards.

Mat Molden then replaced Fairfield.

With 20 minutes left South hit the bar. Molden then produced a brilliant last ditch tackle to deny South a possible second goal.

Hilton shot wide but two minutes later Whelan, now operating at left midfield, drove in number six.

Luke Jubb then replaced Andy Kuehl.

Mellor had saved the best to last, however, Brindley firing home from fully 25 yards into the top left hand corner.

An excellent display to end the season.

The Fourths went to Hooley Bridge and lost 0-2. They have one final match next Saturday. Meanwhile the Thirds play in the Whitehead Cup Final on Wednesday night at Trafford FC, Shawe View, Pennybridge Lane, Flixton, Manchester M41 5DL. Kick off 7pm


Remember the end of season presentation event is at 4.30pm in the Marple Tavern on May 7th. Please try to attend.

Hilton bundles home number one

Coram's free kick goal

Brinners claims his first goal...and goalscorer's medal

Hilton makes it 4-1

Get in Pecky!

Whelan makes it 6-1

Foot like a traction engine...Brinners makes it 7-1.

Remember the end of season presentation event is at 4.30pm in the Marple Tavern on May 7th. Please try to attend.


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Carl Brindley, two for the Firsts

PIC 2 Jack Hilton, two goals for the Firsts
PIC 3 Chris Coram Man of the Match for the Firsts