Midweek Matches: Seconds Tonk Aldermere Firsts

Mellor Seconds ended their league campaign in fine style, completing the double over Aldermere Firsts in Division 2 with a 5-2 away win at Flixton Park.

Three points seemed unlikely after a disastrous start in which Mellor went 2-0 down. But the side rallied superbly and were comfortable winners in the end.

On four minutes Matt Peck ran 40 yards with the ball and passed to Jack Parr whose cross should have been converted at the far post by Andy Given.

Aldermere fired a warning a minute later with a sharp counter attack down the left which saw a whipped in cross headed narrowly too high.

They relied on two quick forwards and got the ball to them early. But Mellor's defence with Paul Swann and Christian Hynes especially solid, kept them at bay.

But on 11 minutes a mix up in Mellor's defence saw Paul Swann commit a foul in the area and the home side converted the spot kick.

Three minutes later it was 2-0 when keeper Matt Wade fired a clearance straight into an Aldermere forward who ran on to score with ease.

On a bumpy surface Mellor struggled to find a rhythm and develop a passing game. But slowly the visitors gained a foothold in the match.

On 35 minutes Peck sent in a rasping low drive which the keeper saved one handed at the expense of a corner.

On 37 minutes, after some sustained pressure, Dave Whelan was tripped on the very edge of the Aldermere penalty area but the referee gave a good advantage and the ball ran to Ian Arnfield who swivelled and put his low drive beyond the home keeper for 2-1.

Mellor had momentum now and on 40 minutes a disoriented defender sent a header straight to Given eight yards out. He should have scored again but sent a tame header into the keeper's grateful arms.

Given then set up Arnfield who fired too high.

On 44 minutes Given was blocked in the area but the ball broke behind him to Steve Smith who shot over.

A minute later a superb 35 yard pass from Whelan almost put Given in but it ran away to the keeper.

After the break it was all Mellor. On 49 minutes Peck drove over from 25 yards.

On 58 minutes Arnfield got away on the left and fed the ball in early behind Aldermere's defence but Given just failed to keep it in play on the byline.

Two minutes later, however, Given's persistence forced a goalkeeping error and the ball ran to Arnfield 15 yards out and he thrashed the ball home for 2-2.

Whelan should have scored a minute later but made amends in the 62nd minute finding the right hand side of the net from 25 yards with a drive through a forest of players after a Matt Peck corner.

Aldermere were under siege and Smith's blcoked shot on 65 minutes ran to Peck whose follow up effort was deflected for a corner.

But every now and then the home side broke away and Man of the Match Wade deflated them with a series of excellent catches from crosses.

On 68 minutes a short corner worked between Peck and Whelan saw Peck's dance along the byline ended by a clumsy tackle and the referee pointed to the spot.

The keeper got down well to his left but Whelan's spot kick beat him for power and Mellor were 4-2 up.

On 69 minutes Thierry Somao replaced Arnfield.

Whelan was turning up in the last third to cause the home side all sorts of problems.

Meanwhile Peck was raiding successfully down the right and Jack Parr's energy was winning most of the loose balls in midfield.

Given scored a fifth late on to cap a great team comeback.

Remember the end of season presentation event is at 4.30pm in the Marple Tavern on May 7th. Please try to attend.


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Ian Arnfield, two goals for the Seconds

PIC 2 Dave Whelan, two goals for the Seconds.
PIC 3 Matt Wade, Man of the Match for the Seconds