Midweek Matches

There was drama galore in three midweek matches last week. On Monday the Seconds thrashed a very strong Droylsden Ams side 4-1. Then on Tuesday the Fourths were narrowly beaten 2-1 by Fletcher Moss Rangers Seconds. Finally on Wednesday the Firsts drew 1-1 away at Spurley Hey.

Monday's game was a classic, arguably the best performance of any Mellor side this season. The Seconds welcomed back Andy Given who has been playing in the Hope Valley League. He started up front with Jack Hilton and together they caused the visitors all kinds of problems. Josh Granite was a towering influence at centre back.

The game was only a minute old when Hilton broke down the right wing and crossed for Adam Barlow to head in from the tightest of angles.

Droylsden made it 1-1 on seven minutes. On 30 minutes Given's effort was saved by the keeper's foot and in the same attack Barlow hit the bar with a header.

A minute later Barlow found himself on the byline on the left wing and somehow beat three players in a mazy dribble to thrash the ball home for 2-1.

Droylsden then hit the bar and on 41 minutes Mike Barlow's timely block sent the ball over the bar when a goal looked certain.

On 50 minutes Given scored with a scorching right footer.

Ian Arnfield came on for the hobbling Matt Peck and almost scored within a minute, heading Hilton's rasping shot just over.

A fantastic move from back to front saw Given then feed Arnfield whose shot was parried away. But Man of the Match Given followed up to smash in his second for 4-1.

On 65 minutes Pat Boyle replaced Hilton up front.

Given put Barlow in on 71 minutes and from his cross Pat Boyle should have scored with a header but did not get a good connection.

The game ended with Mellor going for more goals.

Boyle was luckier on Tuesday, driving in a superb equaliser against Fletcher Moss Rangers with three minutes to go.

But the high flying visitors struck in injury time to win 2-1.

On Wednesday the Firsts went to Spurley Hey hoping to keep up the push for second spot.

Adam Barlow headed over from a Chris Coram corner on 15 minutes.

On 18 minutes Jack Hilton swopped passes with Carl Brindley but shot wide from eight yards when in a good position.

On 28 minutes Spurley hit the bar but Gav Thornley probably had it covered.

Adam Barlow shot into the side netting on 34 minutes.

On 40 minutes Barlow capitalised on an error in the home side's defence but shot weakly straight at the keeper.

Two minutes later he made amends, finding Brindley with a raking crossfield pass and the striker, who may just have been offside, put it away well for 1-0.

Before the re-start Spurley had a man sent off for arguing, receiving two yellows.

The punishment seemed to inspire Spurley and they were the better side after the interval, with Mellor looking leg weary.

Spurley equalised on 60 minutes with a far post header following a free kick.

Dave Moss then replaced Christian Hynes.

Coram missed a chance on 70 minutes from Barlow's free kick.

Then a minute later Coram and Jack Parr conbined to send in a cross which Moss hit over.

On 78 Spurley had a big chance to win it after Gav Thornley picked up a back pass but Mellor's wall stood firm.

But a minute later Mellor had an even better chance, releasing Barlow on the counter attack to run the length of the home side's half only to fluff his shot.

Jack Parr then cleared one off the line and Thornley saved another shot with his feet as Spurley finished the stronger. But a draw was probably a fair result.

Paul Swann was Mellor's star man.








• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Andy Given, two goals and Man of the Match for the Seconds

PIC 2 Adam Barlow, two terrific goals for the Seconds.
PIC 3 Pat Boyle, super goal for the Fourths.
PIC 4 Carl Brindley, another goal for the Firsts