Seconds and Thirds lose, other games rained off.

Heavy rain in the week meant that the Firsts' and Fourths' games were postponed. The Seconds went to lowly Oldham Victoria and lost 2-4. Craig Fairfield and Kev Murray were on target. It was only Vics' second win in 10 outings. Mellor are now third behind Bedians and Santos.

A poor team performance was compounded by individual errors at both ends of the pitch...leaving Mellor lagging in the promotion race. Murray put Mellor 1-0 after 34 minutes, converting a penalty at the second attempt after Jo was brought down in the box. Vics equalised a minute later, squeezing the ball in at the near post.

Mellor began the second half well with some impressive pass and move possession football. But they went 2-1 down after 50 minutes when Vics scored direct from a corner. A defensive lapse two minutes later saw Vics go 3-1 up. Mellor stuck to their passing game and opened Vics up again and again but failed to convert their chances.

They had two goals disallowed for offside before Fairfield dribbled through the home defence and coolly slotted home. Mellor pressed for an equaliser but were caught on the break in the 88th minutes as Vics sealed an unlikely win. Steve Smith was Man of the Match.

The Thirds hosted Choltonians in Division C at Wood Lane but missed key players and lost 2-4. Mellor now lie third, Chorlts fifth in the Division.

Mellor started well and on nine minutes Matt McNulty eluded the full back to get around the back and deliver a telling cross that was cleared with difficulty.

Two minutes later, however, the visitors took the lead with a cross shot that beat Matt Lloyd into the far corner.

On 12 minutes Andy Given crossed dangerously but Si Rawlings, arriving at pace, could only scoop his effort over the bar from six yards.

On 15 minutes Sam Parker dragged a shot wide from a good position. Two minutes later a carbon copy move provided Chorlts with a second goal, again a cross-shot low into the right hand corner.

Parker and Given then combined neatly but the move was snuffed out. Paul Telfer should have reduced the arrears on 30 minutes but skied his shot over after a free kick found him six yards out.

Given had a good chance on 35 minutes but drilled his shot a foot wide.

The second half was barely a minute old when Chorlts made it 3-0. But two minutes later Matt McNulty rifled one in from 25 yards.

Si Rawlings might have scored on 52 minutes but hit the side netting. Dunc Bray replaced Rawlings and on 62 minutes Given's hard cross almost generated an own goal but Chorlts cleared.

George Telford then came off the bench and within a minute had sent a laser guided shot into the corner from 25 yards for 2-3.

Chorlts missed a good chance but Mellor looked as if they might push for an equaliser when Sam Parker came out of a heavy challenge with a badly cut head and was withdrawn in favour of Gary Brown.

Chorlts came into the game more now and made it 2-4 on 80 minutes. With Mellor tiring and looking a little ragged Chorlts might have added two more before the end.

Matt Lloyd made an excellent save to deny one forward. But Chorlts squandered easy chances.

• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Craig Fairfield, a goal for the Seconds

PIC 2 Ed Mallinson, new signing, who appeared for the Thirds

PIC 3 Si Rawlings, new signing, appearing up front for the Thirds

PIC 4 Sam Parker, suffered a head injury in the Thirds' game