Mellor Firsts thump Stocs, Seconds win, Thirds lose narrowly

Mellor Firsts bounce back from last week's disappointment in the Cheshire Cup to hammer neighbours Stoconians, bottom of the table, 6-2.

There was no inkling of the rout to follow as Stocs started the brighter and might have been two goals up in the first 11 minutes. On nine minutes a Stocs forward chipped Gav Thornley but Jono Hunt cleared off the line. Two minutes later the visitors fizzed a shot just wife from 22 yards.

On 15 minutes Stocs broke down the left. The cross in was cleared but a Stocs forward picked up the loose ball and curled an effort narrowly wide. On 18 minutes a long ball caught in the wind confusing the Stocs' defence and allowing Craig Frisby a sight of goal but he shot into the keeper's body.

Mellor began to come into the game now and Dave Moss and Man of the Match Chris Coram had shots blocked or saved. On 28 minutes Ben Beer found Moss on the right. He cruised past a defender and drove in a shot which the keeper could only parry to Steve King who despatched it into the net for 1-0.

On 33 minutes Adam Barlow broke into the Stocs' area, beat a defender but put his cross-shot narrowly wide.

But within a minute Jack Hilton wriggled a good position on the right and crossed for Coram to send a delightful header high into the net for 2-0.

Coram was pulling the strings in midfield and providing the link-up play that Mellor have been missing for a while.

On 38 minutes Jack Hilton tested the keeper who got down smartly to smother. But a minute before the break the points were virtually sealed when Frisby flicked on a long punt from Thornley and Adam Barlow lifted the ball over the keeper from an angle to find the net for 3-0.

On the hour mark a Barlow free kick on the left found Jack Hilton who flicked a header past the keeper for 4-0.

Four minutes later Moss broke clear on the left and cut the ball back dangerously but Stocs managed to clear.

Luke Jubb then replaced Frisby and Carl Brindley came on for Hilton. Stocs replied by scoring a minute later, after a misunderstanding in mellor's back line.

But a flare up on 70 minutes saw a Stocs midfielder red carded for kicking a Mellor player after the game had stopped.

Mellor took full advantage within five minutes, Steve King's floated free kick finding Paul Swann at the far post for a simple tap in for 5-1.

Danny Leibrick replaced Moss and Ben Beer almost made it six, not getting enough of his head to another dangerous King free kick.

Stocs made it 5-2. But Coram should have restored Mellor's four goal margin, chipping over from a good position before Brindly sealed the 6-2 win with a low drive in the last minute.

Mellor Seconds went second in Division 2 with an excellent 1-0 win away on the plastic against Santos. Kev Murray scored the all important goal on 70 minutes, with an assist from Man of the Match Andy Kuehl. A flying save five minutes earlier from Stu Ridgway had kept Santos out.

The Thirds lost 2-1 at table toppers Bedians, with Andy Given missing a last minute penalty. Pat Boyle scored for Mellor. Paul Wild was sent off on 50 minutes for a 'last defender' tackle.


Dave Moss' chip is blocked by Stocs' keeper

Adam Barlow's chip makes it 3-0

Paul Swann bundles in number five

Man of the Match Chris Coram's lob goes narrowly wide


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Chris Coram, Firsts Man of the Match

PIC 2 Steve King scored Mellor's opener
PIC 3 Pat Boyle, a goal for the Thirds