Mellor Firsts out of the Cheshire Cup, wins for the Seconds and Thirds, Fourths lose

Mellor Firsts were thumped 7-0 by Ashville in the Cheshire Cup.

The Seconds took on Gatley Firsts at Wood Lane and emerged 4-3 winners in a ding-dong match. Mellor took the lead four times before the visitors finally succumbed. Ryan Yates scored after 25 seconds to give Mellor a 1-0 lead. The visitors equalised before Yates made it 2-1 on 17 minutes. But eight minutes later it was 2-2. Danny Hayes restored Mellor's advantage on 58 minutes but again Gatley equalised on 62 minutes before Hayes netted a winner 12 minutes later. Manager Alex Wharton rated it a good team performance with Yates Man of the Match and good displays from Lewis Jeffs, Hayes and Smith.

The Thirds had an emphatic 6-1 away win against Parrs Wood Celtic Seconds. Sam Parker, Dunc Bray and Pat Boyle put Mellor in a commanding position after 15 minutes and a second half hat trick from Andy Given sealed the rout. Given and Daniel Byrne were voted joint Man of the Match.

The Fourths hosted Old Ashtonians' Thirds and lost 3-4 in a thriller. The visitors dominated the first half and scored twice without reply. But two goals from Maciek Sobiegraj inside five minutes after the break gave Mellor a real chance. Ashtonians, however, scored twice more before Jay Wilson forced home a late goal to set up a dramatic last five minutes.

On a sodden pitch Ashtonians coped better in the first period. But Mellor had chances. Sobiegraj set up Kovriegie who shot over after five minutes. Ashtonians missed a good chance on 11 minutes but scored two minutes later. An outrageous back heel by Sobiegraj on 17 minutes released Joe Butler whose dangerous cross was almost put into his own goal by a defender, clearing for a corner.

Ashtonians' free kick on 30 minutes almost drifted in. Then on 41 minutes Phil Newton's stretching header sent the ball into his own goal for 0-2.

Ant Brown then made a wonderful point blank save to prevent the men in red from going further ahead.

Paul Robinson replaced Butler and Alistair Murray came on for Kovriegie at half time and the second period exploded with Sobiegraj drilling home a shot for 2-1 and minutes later being up-ended in the box for a penalty which he calmly dispatched to the keeper's left for 2-2.

It was all Mellor now and Ashtonians were rocking. The home side then suffered two injuries in quick succession and had to make two further substitutions, Jack Needham for Sean Standen and Ben Herdan for Billy Riley. But still they maintained momentum.

Jay Wilson then headed just wide from a Sobiegraj corner. On 65 minutes Ashtonians missed a sitter. Sobiegraj then fed Shane Cliffe who tried to fox the keeper but the man in green stood up and saved his shot.

Sobiegraj worked another good position but this time his shot went wide of the far post when a third goal looked likely.

Instead Ashtonians broke away and made it 2-3 on 77 minutes and added another two minutes later.

On 85 minutes Wilson's shot was twice saved but he followed up to squeeze the ball home for 3-4. There was just time for one more anxious moment in the away defence but Mellor just could not find a fourth goal.

Maciek Sobiegraj torments the Ashtonians' defence

Maciek scores from the spot

Mellor go close from a corner


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Dave Moss. one of the few successes for the Firsts

PIC 2 Danny Hayes scored two for the Seconds

PIC 3 Ryan Yates, two goals for the Seconds and Man of the Match

PIC 4 Andy Given, a hat trick for the Thirds and joint Man of the Match
PIC 5 Maciek Sobiegraj, two for the Fourths
PIC 6 Jay Wilson,scored for the Fourths