Mellor Firsts held, Seconds and Fourths win, Thirds beaten

Mellor Firsts dropped two vital points in their chase for the championship in a 2-2 home draw with Spurley Hey. Mellor went 0-2 down after two defensive errors. Sub Carl Brindley pulled one back and an own goal, when Danny Leibrick's cross caused panic in the visitors' defence gave Mellor a share of the spoils. Jono Hunt, made captain on the day, was Man of the Match.

The Seconds won 3-2 away at Droylsden but suffered a nervy last period as the home side hit two late goals. Ryan Yates put Mellor 1-0 up in nine minutes and new signing Matt Brady made it 2-0, two minutes after the break, pouncing on a rebound after a superb drive from Kev Murray. George Telford made it 3-0 after 65 minutes. It looked a comfortable win until the home side's late fightback, made more anxious by the referee playing eight minutes of added time. Manager Alex Wharton rated it as a solid performance with occasional touches of class. Lewis Jeffs was Mellor's star man.

The Thirds had a top of the table clash against Bedians but didn't do themselves justice at Brabyns. They went behind on nine minutes and then survived two loud penalty appeals as panic set in. On 16 minutes Bedians took a short corner with no Mellor player within 20 yards of the two Bedians' players at the corner flag, such was the lack of awareness. Twice in the first half the ball was sliced straight up in the air in the Mellor penalty box.

On 25 minutes a Mellor defender sliced the ball again, this time straight to ex Mellor striker Stuart Wright who gleefully chipped Matt Lloyd from 16 yards for 0-2.

On 32 minutes Andy Given had a fierce cross shot parried by the visitors' keeper with no Mellor forward able to take advantage. On 41 minutes Given's quick free kick fed Sam Parker, whose effort was well saved.

On 44 minutes a Mellor corner was half cleared but Parker's low return cross was headed home by Gary Brown for 1-2.

Dunc Bray replaced Ian Arnfield at the break. On 59 minutes Matt McNulty's corner found Sam Healey who smashed it home for 2-2.

Joe Butler replaced Aaron Greaves. Almost immediately Bedians were awarded a penalty for handball but Matt Lloyd got down well to block the kick.

But three minutes later Bedians broke away and scored a third. The men in blue made it 2-4 on 70 minutes and hit a post on 76 minutes before scoring a fifth a minute later. A minute from time Lloyd brought down an attacker to concede a second penalty but again he saved the spot kick, to earn a Man of the Match accolade.

On a nearby pitch Mellor 4ths beat Stocs 4-0 with Maciek Sobiegraj netting all four.


Mellor Thirds attack the Bedians' goal


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Carl Brindley on as a sub and scored for the Firsts

PIC 2 George Telford scored for the Seconds

PIC 3 Sam Healey...scored for the Thirds

PIC 4 Matt Lloyd, two penalty saves for Thirds
PIC 5 Maciek Sobiegraj, four for the Fourths