Mellor Firsts progress in the Cheshire Cup. All four teams win.

Mellor Firsts travelled to Moore United, near Warrington, for a Cheshire Cup tie and came away 2-1 winners. Moore play in Division Two of the Cheshire League. After eight league games they are about half way down the table, which is topped by former Lancs and Cheshire League side Denton Town. Grappenhall, whom Mellor beat in a friendly last season are second. But Moore have apparently won all their home games this campaign. The home side started the brighter and Mellor were under the cosh for long periods. But in a breakaway Jack Hilton scored from a tight angle. Moore equalised on the stroke of half time with a shot from their centre back through a crowd of players, following a corner. But Mellor took the reverse in their stride and probably played better in the second period. The game was end to end but was won by a storming 30 yard strike from Lewis Smith, playing in an unfamiliar left back role.

The Seconds were at home to Tintwistle Firsts. The visitors missed an early chance after eight minutes following a slip by the otherwise impressive Dave Wilkinson. Three minutes later Wilkinson's shrewd pass almost set Kev Murray clear but he couldn't control the ball. On 14 minutes Mellor went ahead after a four man move. Ryan Yates fed Murray who slipped in Danny Leibrick on the left. Rather than shoot, he pulled the ball across the six yard box for Matt Peck to slide it home at the far post.

A minute later the all-action Jack Parr set up Carl Brindley but his first time effort was wayward. Tintwistle volleyed over from another good position on 21 minutes. But Mellor were dominating and three minutes later an excellent Carl Brindley effort was turned away for a corner and Leibrick sent the flag kick fizzing dangerously across the area, eluding friend and foe.

On 42 minutes Matt Lloyd had to sprint from his goal to hack the ball clear and thwart a promising situation for the visitors. The game became fractious and Tintwistle's captain was yellow carded for threatening behaviour. Moments later Yates played the ball against the shins of a defender and on the rebound sent a delightful shot into the top left hand corner for 2-0.

The half ended in commotion with Tintwistle's captain appearing to strike Carl Brindley behind the referee's back. The visitors' player was immediately subbed and no further action was taken.

The second half began with a Brazil-like move. Leibrick fed Yates who dummied the ball for Jack Parr to run on and set up Peck but his shot was just too high. On 51 minutes Leibrick delivered a wicked left wing free kick which Yates gleefully headed high into the net for 3-0.

Kev Murray fired wide moments later and when Carl Brindley was denied by some last ditch defending it seemed as if the floodgates might open. However, on 55 minutes Tintwistle pulled a goal back and Matt Lloyd was then called on to make a good save. Jo Sane then replaced Brindley on 62 minutes and caused problems for Tintwistle's back four with his strength and neat footwork.

On 75 minutes Steve Baguley replaced Man of the Match Yates and moments later Peck rattled the Tintwistle crossbar. With 10 minutes left Lee Wilson came on for Peck. There was just time for Jack Parr to shoot wide from a good position and for Wilkinson to send an eight yard header from a corner into the car park.

The Thirds' game at home to Droylsden was called off because the visitors could not field a side. Mellor are likely to be given a 1-0 win and all three points.

The Fourths won 1-0 against Old Stretfordians at Brabyns with a Paul Telfer goal, direct from a free kick. Telfer was Man of the Match.

Danny Leibrick pulls the ball across goal for Matt Peck to score

Consternation in the Tintwistle defence

Ryan Yates heads in for 3-0

Carl Brindley's shot is deflected for a corner

• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Lewis Smith, two goals in two games for the Firsts

PIC 2 Ryan Yates, Man of the Match for the Seconds
PIC 3 Paul Telfer, the winner for the Fourths