Mellor Firsts go top of the Prem

Mellor Firsts leapt to the top of the Premiership with a resounding 4-1 home win against Bedians. It was sweet revenge for the 3-4 reverse away to the Didsbury side earlier in the campaign. Mellor's first half performance was below par but the side's finishing was lethal. Having established a 3-1 half time lead the margin of victory might have been far greater as the visitors wilted in the second period. Bedians started brightly, passing the ball confidently. Mellor raised the first alarm after five minutes when Paul Swann crossed from the right and Matt Jamieson headed back for Mark Oldham to fire wide. Jamieson set up Adam Barlow on 10 minutes but the midfielder's shot lacked venom and the Bedians' keeper saved. Bedians should have taken the lead on 15 minutes with an unmolested header from close range, following a right wing free kick. But two minutes later a piece of miscontrol on Mellor's left led to the visitors whipping over a diagonal ball which a forward drove in from the inside left position.

On 26 minutes Barlow crossed and Jamieson sent an extravagant volley over the bar from 22 yards. But two minutes later, as the Bedian's defence hesitated, waiting for offside, Berrisford chased the ball into the corner and crossed for Jamieson to convert with a diving header. On 30 minutes Bedians hit the bar and still enjoyed the majority of possession. But three minutes from the interval Craig Frisby's clever pass sent Lewis Smith clear and he confidently rounded the keeper to sidefoot home.

With Bedians feeling hard done by their situations got worse. Adam Barlow tried to surge through the visitors' back line but the ball ran on to Jamie Berrisford who fired home for a comfortable 3-1. In first half injury time Mark Oldham sent a 45 yard free kick a foot wide. Mellor began the second half with a swagger and Matt Jamieson started to cause Bedians persistent problems on the left. On 58 minutes his incisive cross saw Smith's shot blocked at the expense of a corner. When it arrived from Berrisford, Jonno Hunt planted a firm header a foot wide from a good position. Another Jamieson cross gave Berrisford a shooting chance but he fired wide. Jack Hilton then replaced Berrisford on 62 minutes and might have had three goals as Mellor began to find gaps in the Bedians' defence.

On 64 minutes yet another Jamieson cross was met on the volley by Paul Swann four yards out but the keeper blocked. On 74 minutes Terry Boon replaced the excellent Smith on the right wing and two minutes later Jamieson released Dave Moss in a central position to run on and drill the ball low past the keeper's right hand for 4-1. Bedians, who had used two substitutes, were reduced to 10 men through injury and Mellor might have profited further. With six minutes left Hilton's shot from 20 yards was saved and Boon, following up, fired over from close in. Mellor again proved to have the mental strength to come from behind to win, as they did against Cheadle Hulme Villa and carry a goal threat from a number of positions.

The Seconds went to Rochdalians Reserves and lost 5-2, with goals from Luke Jubb and Danny Hayes. The Thirds lost 0-2 at Brabyns to Staly FC's First team with Sam Healey earning Mellor's Man of the Match accolade and the Fourths lost their opening game of the campaign 3-1 away at Denton West End Reserves, with Maciek Sobiegraj scoring.



Paul Swann heads over

Lewis Smith makes it 2-1

Jack Hilton's effort is saved

Dave Moss drills in number four




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Lewis Smith, a constant threat and a goal.

PIC 2 Adam Barlow, fiery in midfield
PIC 3 Danny Hayes, scored for the 2nds
PIC 4 Adam Jarvis, debut for the Fourths