Seconds lose to Urmston Town

Mellor Seconds' penultimate game of the season at home to Urmston Town's Firsts ended in a 1-2 defeat. Mellor were desperate to avenge a 3-2 reverse at Urmston last Wednesday. But having grabbed an unlikely lead in the second half they let the game slip following two individual errors in the final 10 minutes.

Playing with the wind was not a great advantage for Mellor who struggled to find a passing rhythm in the first period. The game started with drama when a Matt Peck corner in the first minute drifted wind assisted against the Urmston crossbar and was scrambled clear. On five minutes Scott Waters made the first of a string of excellent saves, diving to his right to get a hand on a 25 yard piledriver from an Urmston striker.

On 16 minutes Chris Porter had to replace Luke Jubb who came off with hamstring trouble. Jack Hilton was pushed up front with Steve Jackson and Porter took over in midfield.

On 34 minutes Urmston missed a sitter when a forward broke through and had all the time in the world but dragged his shot wide of Waters' right hand post.

Mellor struggled to make inroads into the Urmston defence. But on 50 minutes Martin Jackson gave the home side the lead when he capitalised on a mistake in the Urmston back line and ran on to drive the ball home to the keeper's right.

On 57 minutes Waters made his second fine stop, closing down a forward and smothering the shot at close range. In the very next attack he pulled off another great save to deny a one-on-one situation.

On the hour Urmston squandered another great chance and it seems as if it might be Mellor's day. The men in blue might have gone 2-0 up after 71 minutes when Jack Parr's volley was blocked and the ball rebounded to Matt Peck 10 yards out but his scuffed shot went wide.

With 10 minutes left Matt Lloyd replaced Waters in goal and seconds later had to plunge to his right to keep out a fierce Urmston drive. But a minute later another Urmston effort bounced awkwardly in front of him and he could not prevent it from crossing the line.

Urmston sensed they could win the game and four minutes later an underhit Mark Oldham back pass saw an Urmston forward run on unheeded to round Lloyd and score.

There were good performances from Craig Fairfield and Jack Parr, with Martin Jackson, Steve Jackson and Porter all grafting hard. Scott Waters was Mellor's star man.

Jack Parr tries a volley

Matt Peck fires wide



• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Martin Jackson scored for the Seconds

PIC 2 Scott Waters...a string of fine saves