Peck puts Seconds into the Wray Cup Final!

Fourths also through to the final of the Hellawell Shield

A glory night for Mellor on Wednesday as the Seconds and Fourths both won their semi final ties.

At a tension filled Wood Lane the Seconds continued their amazing form which saw them dump Rochdalians out of the Wray Cup to sweep aside Division A table toppers Bedians. The Didsbury men had lost only one league game all season, winning 20 of 24 matches. In their league clashes, Mellor drew 0-0 at Bedians and lost 0-1 at Wood Lane. But on the night Alex Wharton's side worked incredibly hard to deny the visitors shooting opportunities. Matt Lloyd in goal was relatively untroubled all night.

The first half was largely a stalemate with neither keeper having a meaningful shot to save. The nearest effort to a goal was a Kev Murray shot from an impossible angle that whistled across the goal and narrowly missed the far post.

Bedians played with five in midfield but Mellor's defence, with Craig Fairfield and Dave Wilkinson outstanding organised themselves well. Jack Parr and Adam Barlow in centre midfield harried and hustled and up front Mellor's forwards did the same, closing defenders down at every opportunity.

Mellor struggled to get the ball to dangerman Matt Peck on the left and when they did he was tightly marked.

Mellor began to create the more threatening situations in the second period. A Kev Murray backheel on 46 minutes produced a shot which the Bedians keeper saved and when the ball ran to Martin Jackson his snap shot went over from a good position.

Paul Newman replaced an injured Paul Goodwin on 60 minutes at right back and five minutes later Steve Jackson had a shooting chance but his effort lacked power.

Adam Barlow curled a free kick over on 80 minutes and Mellor had to withstand a frenzied period of Bedians' pressure in the final five minutes of normal time when several shots were blocked by defenders' bodies.

Luke Warburton replaced Steve Jackson.

Two periods of 10 minutes extra time (in which Maciek Sobiegraj replaced Martin Jackson) failed to separate the teams and so the game went to penalties. Bedians scored with their first and Kev Murray equalised. But after Adam Barlow had scored misses by Paul Newman and Luke Warburton gave Bedians a 3-2 lead with Craig Fairfield called upon to take Mellor's fifth spot kick. Fairfield slammed the ball home and it was sudden death.

Bedians' sixth penalty was saved by the right foot of Matt Lloyd and now the pressure was on 16-year-old Matt Peck. The teenager stepped up and coolly slotted the ball home to send Mellor's squad delirious.

Three miles away Mellor's Fourths put local rivals Stoconians to the sword 3-1 to reach the final of the Hellawell Shield.


Kev Murray's shot is saved

Adam Barlow curls a free kick just wide

The Jackson brothers attack with Steve shooting

It's party time as Peck scores the winner


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Matt Lloyd...Seconds Man of the Match

PIC 2 Adam Barlow...towering performance for the Seconds
PIC 3 Matt Peck...the night's hero with a winning penalty
PIC 4 Ian Arnfield..on target for the Fourths