Firsts's game abandoned, wins for Seconds and Fourths

The Firsts went to Old Trafford and were leading 3-2 when the game was abandoned in the 70th minute by referee Graham Ellis, after dissent from the home side and management. Old Trafford will now be charged with improper conduct and whether the result stands or not will be decided by a disciplinary hearing at Lancashire FA. Craig Frisby scored twice, once from the spot and Jamie Berrisford got the other.

The Seconds went to Newton and returned with all three points. Newton's centre-back put through his own goal after 55 minutes to give Mellor a 1-0 win. Martin Jackson was Mellor's Man of the Match.

The Thirds should have played Burnage away but their pitch was waterlogged. The game was switched to Brabyns Park and turned into Mellor's home fixture but Burnage were too strong and won 4-0, all the goals coming in the first half.

The Fourths played Heaton Mersey at Wood Lane and registered their second win of the season against the team who are bottom of the league. Surface water made passing difficult and Mellor struggled to produce any rhythm in the first half. After 14 minutes a good move saw Matt Wightman release Aaron Greaves, who fed Ian Arnfield but Jon Cosgrove couldn't quite connect at the far post with his dangerous cross. Two minutes later Mellor's Man of the Match Sam Healey flung himself to block a shot on the edge of the area but collided with Adam Axford who was winded and needed attention. Mellor took the lead after 35 minutes, Wightman's free kick being slotted home by Ian Arnfield, his second goal in consecutive games. Jamie McGregor was called upon to tip the ball over two minutes later and made another good save on 41 minutes.

The drama was largely left to the second half. Mellor adapted better to the conditions and began passing the ball well. On 50 minutes Sam Healey shot and Jon Cosgrove tried to deflect the effort with his head but the ball went wide. A minute later Paul Telfer burst forward on the right and his cross found Ian Arnfield who was crowded out. Mellor were dominant now and a throw on in the right hand corner saw Gary Brown surge into the area and feed Pat Boyle but his shot was blocked. On 53 minutes a rare Mersey break led to Jamie McGregor sliding out but catching a Mersey forward and conceding a penalty which the visitors duly converted. Mellor resumed their onslaught and on 55 minutes a Telfer free kick was flicked on by Cosgrove to Immi Roberts whose shot was saved. A minute later Axford's terrific cross flew across the six yard box missing friend and foe.

Matt McNulty replaced Axford on 65 minutes and five minutes later Gary Brown's free kick from distance was missed by everyone and flew into the net for 2-1. Almost immediately Brown pulled up with a thigh problem and was replaced by Rick Behan and Ian Drew replaced Sam Healey. McGregor made another save on 82 minutes but a minute later Mellor broke away and Drew slotted home. There was still time for Mersey to score a second on the breakaway in injury time. But all three points were Mellor's.


Jamie McGregor saves from a Heaton Mersey forward

Mersey equalise from the penalty spot


Gary Brown's free kick finds the net.




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Craig Frisby...two more goals and a sixth consecutive scoring appearance

PIC 2 Ian Arnfield, two in two for the Fourths