Four defeats

It's rare for all four Mellor teams to lose on a single Saturday but it happened yesterday. For the second consecutive week the Firsts went down 3-2 after dominating the game. Jonathan Hunt was drafted in at centre back, with Dave Moss taking his midfield role. This week's opponents, lowly South Manchester had a dream start when a diagonal ball fed the visitors' right winger who had drifted behind Dave Whelan and his cross was calmly slotted home in the first minute. On three minutes Liam Totterdell was sent clear by a long clearance but he overran the ball for a goal kick. On 10 minutes South scored again. A free kick from the left cannoned off Jonathan Hunt in a crowded six yard box and the rebound was drilled home. On 12 minutes Mellor halved the arrears. Terry Boon's corner came to Jamie Berrisford whose perfect cross was met by a clever glancing header from Craig Frisby sending the ball just inside the keeper's left hand post. Gav Thornley got down smartly to deny South in the 24th minute. Then a delicious Dave Moss ball released Whelan on the left but he couldn't get his cross in.

South pounced on a rare Scott Cassidy mistake and Thornley had to make another important save. South's keeper seemed uncertain on crosses but Mellor did not put enough pressure on him. Boon put a half chance wide on 32 minutes and a minute later another tantalising Berrisford cross was headed wide at the near post by Totterdell who should really have tested the keeper.

Berrisford was Mellor's most potent weapon in this period and another cross was met by Frisby but his effort was turned away for a corner. A minute before the break Terry Boon worked a good position on the right and his cross eluded friend and foe to miss the far post by a whisker with two Mellor players lurking but unable to connect.

After the break Mellor began to dominate. Coram thrashed a Boon corner over on 50 minutes. But on 55 minutes South might have scored again when a 40 yard free kick was met on the volley by a forward who saw his shot sail wide.

Mellor's passing in the first half was not of the highest order. But now players began to find their range.

Berrisford was again looking dangerous on the left and Frisby just failed to connect with another cross into the danger zone. In the next attack Frisby knocked the ball down cleverly for Hunt to shoot but his drive was wide of the target. On 65 minutes Frisby set up Berrisford in space but his shot was just wide of the far post.

On 66 minutes substitute Ben Beer replaced Whelan allowing Hunt to move back into midfield for Coram who switched to left back. Two minutes later Coram's cross was met by Totterdell who found the corner of the net from eight yards for 2-2.

There looked to be only one winner now. But on 75 minutes in only their second meaningful attack South scored again. Immediately, Frisby put Totterdell in but the big striker miscontrolled the ball off her chest and it ran for a goal kick.

On 85 minutes Danny Leibrick replaced Berrisford and Carl Brindley came on for Totterdell. There was just time for one more decent chance but Dave Moss fired just wide. the game was superbly reffed by Mark Verigotta.

The Seconds hosted Rochdalians in Brabyns and lost 1-2. The visitors scored first but Kev Murray equalised. Rochdalians scored again in the 88th minute to claim all three points despite a brave show from Man of the Match Matt Lloyd in goal.

On a nearby pitch the Thirds were losing 1-5 to Oldham Vics. Matty Wyatt was the scorer, his second in two games. The Fourths travelled to AFC Oldham and were beaten 2-7. An own goal and a strike by Ian Arnfield were the bright spots for Mellor and Pat Boyle was Man of the Match.



Craig Frisby heads home

Craig Frisby off target

Coram tries his luck




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Jonathan Hunt...Man of the Match for the Firsts
PIC 2 Kev Murray scored for the Seconds
PIC 3 Matty Wyatt....two in two for the Thirds
PIC 4 Pat Boyle....Man of the Match for the Fourths