Mellor Firsts beat Old Trafford to go third

Mellor Firsts continued their good league form with an emphatic 3-0 win over Old Trafford. The Manchester side have now failed to score against Mellor in three league games. The success was based on an uncompromising defence, well marshalled by Mark Oldham and Ben Beer and with left back Chris Coram gaining the Man of the Match accolade. But credit should also go to debutant Jonathan Hunt, who brought much needed steel into central midfield but also sprayed simple passes to keep moves flowing. Up front Liam Totterdell was always a handful for the Old Trafford defence and Luke Jubb worked exceptionally hard to create openings. A marvellous move after six minutes saw Totterdell back-heel the ball on the right wing to Terry Boon whose cross was guided on by Luke Jubb to Rob White only for the flank player to shoot wide. On 22 minutes, however, White got on the scoresheet, tapping home after the visitors' keeper dropped the ball as he landed awkwardly while making a catch. Scott Cassidy had a shot well saved on 28 minutes. Old Trafford saw a lot of the ball but failed to penetrate. On 40 minutes Mellor counter attacked at pace, Totterdell swopped passes with White and raced clear to clip the ball over the keeper for 2-0 from 14 yards.

Old Trafford came out of the blocks with menace in the second half and Gav Thornley went full length to save a fierce shot. The ball travelled to the right wing where seconds later Old Trafford worked another shooting chance and hit the bar. Craig Frisby replaced the injured Ben Beer on 58 minutes. A good move set up Terry Boon in the 61st minute but he shot wide from a promising position. Four minutes later Jubb blocked a defender's clearance and ran on only to miss the target under pressure. On 67 minutes new signing Danny Leibrick replaced Rob White at left side midfield. And on 79 minutes Carl Brindley replaced Luke Jubb. Mellor were now in control and threatened several times before finally killing the game off in the 85th minute. Brindley played the ball to the right and Terry Boon manoeuvred into space to deliver a telling cross which Brindley thrashed home from close range. Four minutes later Old Trafford hit the post. But it was Mellor's day.

The Seconds travelled to Newton Heath and were beaten 6-0. The table topping Thirds also slipped up, losing 1-2 at Brabyns to Eagle Seconds, spoiling their 100 per cent record. Tery Wilson was Mellor's Man of the Match. The Fourths earned a creditable 4-4 away draw at Old Strets with star man Adam Whittaker scoring all four. Strets went 1-0 and 2-1 up. But each time Mellor hit back with a goal by Whittaker following a Danny Roberts' flick on. The home side then went 4-2 up. But Mellor refused to be beaten. Whittaker scored with a superb direct free kick. Then he levelled at 4-4 late on. Danny Roberts almost won it for Mellor in the dying moments, shooting inches wide when set clear by Matty Wyatt.


Rob White turns away after opening the scoring

Liam Totterdell clips home number 2

Carl Brindley scores his second in two games

Dave Moss causes Old Trafford an anxious moment




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 New signing Jonathan Hunt had an impressive debut in midfield
PIC 2 New signing Danny Leibrick made his debut as a second half substitute on the left wing
PIC 3 Terry Wilson, top man for the Thirds
PIC 4 Adam Whittaker...four for the Fourths