Mellor Firsts Beat Govan

Mellor Firsts recorded their first points of the season with a nervy 4-2 win over local rivals Govan at the Armitage Centre in Manchester on Wednesday September 9th. Newly promoted Govan remain pointless at the bottom of the table after three games. It looked like a comfortable win when Liam Totterdell rose at the far post to head home a superb Scott Cassidy cross for 3-0 deep into the second half. But Govan rallied and pulled it back to 3-2 before Kev Murray killed them off with a tap-in a minute from time.

This was largely the Liam Totterdell show. He scored two, hit a post and missed two other good chances including a second half penalty.

Mellor started well and dominated the early stages. But Govan's rugged defence gave little away. The surprise selection of Adie Campbell in midfield paid dividends as he linked play and sprayed passes cleverly. His midfield partner Dave Moss was also quickly into his stride, sending raking balls left and right to Jack Parr and Terry Boon on the flanks. The first real moment of danger, however, came on 13 minutes when Govan siezed on an underhit pass from Mark Oldham but wasted the chance. Totterdell sent over an inviting cross which Jack Parr headed over on 15 minutes. Five minutes later Totterdell caused consternation in the Govan six yard box but a defender hacked clear as the ball ran invitingly to Parr.

Govan had another good chance on 31 minutes but fired over after a mix up in the Mellor defence. But four minutes later Mellor took the lead when Boon found Totterdell who beat one player and drilled the ball right footed low to the keeper's right.

On 40 minutes the energetic Parr chased a lost cause near the corner flag and managed to cross only for Totterdell to fire against the keeper's right hand post from eight yards.

Govan began the second period with a dangerous cross which eluded friend a foe. Adie Campbell's surging run then opened up the Govan rearguard but Jack Parr couldn't control the cross. The ball ran to Totterdell who set up Kev Murray but the big striker shot over from six yards.

Govan had another chance on 53 minutes but shot wide. Six minutes later Parr released Dave Moss and his shot looped over the keeper for 2-0. Mellor were rampant. Campbell and Moss were running at the heart of the Govan defence which by now had lost its earlier composure. Totterdell's cross found Parr in the middle of the goal six yards out but his header cleared the bar,

The reprieve was short lived. Two minutes later good work again by Campbell freed Scott Cassidy on the right and his teasing cross was perfectly met by Totterdell's forehead. 3-0.

Two minutes later Govan pulled one back. Mellor replaced Terry Boon with Jamie Berrisford whose fresh legs were welcome. But Govan now had their best spell of the game. A sustained attack saw two shots blocked before a third hit the top of the bar and went over. Then Gav Thornley made an excellent save low down. Mellor just survived the next attack at the expense of a corner but when it came over it travelled a long way before being thumped home at the back post. 3-2.

Govan's tails were up and Mellor were hanging on. Chris Porter replaced an injured Jack Parr as the play swung from end to end, with every attack looking as if it might end in a goal. Frisby blocked one goalbound effort. Then seconds later Berrisford teed up Tottedell who tried to find the top right hand corner but fired over. On 84 minutes referee Stewart Smith awarded Mellor a penalty for a defender climbing over a Mellor forward. Totterdell stepped up but his side-foot shot cleared the bar. Jason Wilde replaced a tiring Adie Capbell but the initiative was all Govan's and Mark Oldham needed all his pace and experience to deal with two threatening breaks.

With nerves jangling, Totterdell, who had been injured moments before, found one last burst of pace down the left wing and sent over a dangerous cross which the Govan keeper spilled into the path of Kev Murray for a simply goal to end the drama.

Liam Totterdell drills home number one.

Tott heads Mellor into a 3-0 lead

Almost the hat-trick. But Tott's penalty clears the bar

• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Liam Totterdell, a constant threat.
PIC 2 Adie Campbell, inspirational in midfield
PIC 3 Jamie Berrisford made his debut