Mellor Firsts drop to third, all teams lose

A disappointing last Saturday of the season saw all four Mellor teams lose. Mellor Firsts' defeat away at Abacus Media deprived the team of runners-up medals. The side finished third behind Whalley Range and Rochdalians, who hammered Norris Villa 5-0. The game at Curzon Ashton's artificial pitch began tentatively. Both sides stroked the ball around without penetration. The first real chance came on 14 minutes when Abacus attackers worked a good position but the striker shot wide. Mellor's best chance of the first half came on 36 minutes when Mike Palmer and Kev Murray had shooting opportunities in the same piece of action but were crowded out. Then 30 seconds before the break a two-pass move put a home forward clear and he lobbed Gav Thornley for 1-0. Mike Sharpe replaced an injured Kev Murray at half time. On 51 minutes Barry Dalby got to the goalline and pulled the ball back but Terry Boon's shot was wide. On 61 minutes Dalby wriggled past one tackle in the area but was brought down by a second challenge for a penalty. Ben Beer confidently swept in the spot kick but referee John Molloy ordered it to be retaken because Mellor players had encroached. Beer's second kick was saved but this time Abacus players had entered the box and a third kick was needed. Matt Jamieson took the ball and scored easily. On 70 minutes Craig Fairfield replaced Terry Boon as Mellor searched for the winner that would have meant second spot. But in a breakaway an Abacus forward got his foot to a cross as Craig Frisby's tackle came in and the ball squirted out of the collision of legs past Thornley for 2-1. There was more drama to come as Palmer was tripped for a second Mellor penalty. Substitute Tommy Neil, on for Chris Coram, hit it powerfully but it struck the bar and came out. Mike Palmer almost bundled the ball in late on but Abacus held on for the win. Mellor Seconds lost 0-4 at home to Hooley Bridge. The Thirds lost 1-5 away at Aldermere, who scored an own goal and the Fourths lost 6-5 away at Stretfordians after leading 4-0 with 30 minutes left. Paul Robinson (2), Adam Axford (2) and Tom Bright scored. The final game of the season is the Stockport Senior Cup Final on Friday at Woodley Sports kick off 7pm when Mellor Seconds take on Poynton.


Barry Dalby almost reaches a cross

Matt Jamieson rifles in from the spot

Tommy Neil's penalty hits the bar








• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Matt Jamieson scored thrice taken penalty