Mellor Firsts drop to second but prospects increase. Seconds thump South Manchester

Mellor Firsts had no game. But their prospects of lifting the Premiership title improved with news that rivals Rochdalians had lost 2-0 at South Manchester. Contenders Whalley Range won and go top. But they will probably finish runners-up if Mellor take maximum points from their remaining two games against Hooley Bridge at home on Wednesday and Abacus Media away on Saturday. As Rochdalians struggled, on an adjoining pitch Mellor Seconds thrashed South Manchester 5-0. Man of the Match Jack Parr scored a hat trick. Luke Jubb, who was close behind him for the accolade also scored and Rob White notched the other goal. The Thirds used Wood Lane for their home fixture against Old Trafford Seconds who can still finish second in Division B. Mellor should have led on two minutes when Andy Given worked an excellent position but elected to pass to his left rather than shoot and the chance evaporated. Another piece of Given magic on 13 minutes, however, did produce a goal. He turned quickly in the box and stroked the ball into the far corner of the net. Two minutes later Given set up Steve Jackson but his effort was cleared. Old Trafford then woke from their slumbers and Ken Guest had to be quick to tackle an advancing forward. Sam Parker forced a good save low down from the Old Trafford keeper on 36 minutes and four minutes later Guest was the hero again, denying a striker who seemed certain to score in a one-on-one. All Mellor's good work was undone in the first minute of the second half when a quick interchange of passes sent a forward through Mellor's back line and his cross was easily turned home by a colleague for 1-1. On 55 minutes Craig Fairfield missed a great headed chance from a Matty Wyatt free kick but Mellor's attacks now were few and far between. Trafford sniffed a winner and it should have come on 57 minutes but the attacker blazed wide from a good position. Sam Parker might have scored on 70 minutes but his shot was well blocked. A minute later Mike Barlow was unlucky to see his clearing header hit the back of a forward's head and rebound to another Old Trafford attacker who gleefully thumped the loose ball home for 1-2. Dunc Bray replaced Steve Jackson late on but Mellor's only remaining threat was a long range effort from Chris Porter, which the keeper smothered. The Fourths went to Hillcrest Road and came away with all three points in a gritty 2-1 win over Stoconians. Pat Boyle gave Mellor the lead. Stocs equalised with a penalty after a foul by Paul Wild. But Tom Bradley scored the winner. Mellor Fourths can secure third spot in Division D if they beat Strets next week.




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Jack Parr...three for the Seconds
PIC 2 Andy Given...a goal for the Thirds

PIC 3 Pat Boyle...another goal for the Fourths