Firsts through in Cup, Seconds thrash Gatley

The Firsts are through in the Rhodes Cup to face Whalley Range away after a very clinical 3-0 win against New East Manchester at Wood Lane. Both teams found it hard initially to cope with a strong wind blowing from side to side across the pitch. Passes went astray and there was little rhythm to the match. Mike Sharpe shot wide from a promising position on 11 minutes. Two minutes later Chris Coram's chip almost caught out the visiting keeper who had to flap the ball away from under his crossbar. On 15 minutes Sharpe took the ball down brilliantly on his instep direct from a Gav Thornley fly kick. The ball ran away but Sharpe retrieved it and crossed for Mike Palmer to head the ball sideways where Matt Jamieson lashed it high into the net, beating the keeper for sheer power. On 19 minutes Mark Oldham tried to emulate the Liverpool direct free kick goal from the previous night's Champions League match but his effort was slightly off target. Craig Fairfield kept the ball alive but New East Manchester scrambled it clear. The visitors rarely threatened but a free kick on 27 minutes flashed wide with no one attacking the ball. On 29 minutes a delightful Terry Boon cross found Mike Palmer but his header was comfortably saved. Craig Frisby had a good chance a minute later but his header was a foot wide. On 40 minutes a Frisby header was handled in the area. Ref Stewart Smith gave a penalty and Matt Jamieson rifled the ball home left footed into the top right hand corner for 2-0. A rare NEM break saw Mark Oldham clear off the line on 52 minutes. A minute later Ben Beer replaced Frisby. Mellor were now well in command and on 55 minutes Mike Palmer headed over from Chris Coram's corner. A minute later Mike Sharpe hit the bar with what appeared to be a cross. On 72 minutes Kev Murray replaced Alex Young and on 84 minutes Barry Dalby came on for Coram. Two minutes from time Liam Totterdell side footed home from 15 yards to seal a comfortable win. Meanwhile at Torkington Park the Seconds beat Gatley in Division A 5-0. The scorers were Chris Porter, Andy Given, Paul Swan, Jack Parr and Dave Moss.



Matt Jamieson crashes home the first

Matt Jamieson scores the second from the spot

Liam Totterdell strokes home number three


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Mark Oldham....solid at the back
PIC 2 Matt Jamieson...two goals for the Firsts

PIC 3 Dave Moss....scored for the Seconds