Firsts are three points clear, Seconds lose unbeaten record

Mellor Firsts opened up a three point gap at the top of the Premiership with a 2-0 home win to complete a double over South Manchester, as rivals Old Trafford lost at Whalley Range. Heavy fog shrouded the pitch and you could barely see the far goalposts from the clubhouse. But Mellor, with Alex Young out injured and Craig Fairfield on the bench with an injury responded well and dominated the early exchanges. On a soft and sometimes sticky pitch Mellor produced some attractive passing moves with Barry Dalby and Chris Coram prominent. Man of the Match Mike Sharpe gave Mellor the lead on 22 minutes, controlling a quick pass and getting the ball out of his feet before sending in a 22 yarder which found the top of the net. Minutes later Andy Given thought he had won a penalty for Mellor when clattered by the South keeper but the referee John Molloy judged the offence to have been just outside the area. South Manchester hit a post after 34 minutes and on 42 minutes Gav Thornley charged from his goal to make a vital tackle as a South forward broke clear. Mellor continued to have the greater possession after the break but the killer second goal was proving elusive. With 20 minutes left Luke Jubb replaced Given and Danny Hayes came on for Parr. The breakthrough came on 84 minutes when Jubb muscled past a defender only to be body checked in the area and Ben Beer dispatched the spot kick high into the top right hand corner of the net. Jubb might have scored twice and Mark Oldham once in the closing stages. Next week it's Abacus at home. The Seconds lost their fine unbeaten record going down 2-1 away at Moston Brook. Kev Murray put Mellor ahead but the home side equalised before the break. Mellor squandered a series of chances and the Moston keeper had an excellent afternoon, making a string of saves and allowing his side the snatch the points with a second goal. Scott Cassidy was Mellor's star man. The Thirds are beginning to come to terms with the tough competition in Division B and took three points off Burnage at Brabyns with a 1-0 win. The goal came after 65 minutes when the ball ping-ponged around the area until it came to Robin Stroud who drove it home through a crowded penalty box. Centre-back John Callaghan was Mellor's Man of the Match. The Fourths bounced back after last week's reverse at home to Division D leaders Bedians with a fine 4-3 win away at Burnage. The side went 2-0 up but three chances for Burnage were all converted and Mellor found themselves 2-3 down at the break. Mellor showed strength of character to come back and score two second half goals without reply. The scorers were Tom Bright(2), Maciek Sobiegoraj and Paul Robinson. Aaron Purcell was Man of the Match.


The club is holding a Christmas Party at the Marple Tavern on Saturday December 20th. Make a note in your diary. Various games will be unveiled on the day.


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Mike Sharpe, a goal and the Man of the Match for the Firsts
PIC 2 Scott Cassidy, Man of the Match for the Seconds
PIC 3 John man for the Thirds
PIC 4 Robin Stroud, match winning goal for the Thirds
PIC 5 Aaron Purcell, Man of the Match for the Fourths
PIC 6 Tom Bright, two goals for the Fourths