Firsts pull clear, Seconds gain key win

Mellor Firsts' again proved their powers of recovery by emerging 2-1 winners at Old Stretfordians, having gone a goal behind in five minutes. They also lost striker Alex Young who had to go to hospital with delayed concussion after a nasty head injury but thankfully has made a full recovery. Paul Swann and Mike Sharpe were the goalscorers and Mike Palmer was Mellor's Man of the Match. Old Trafford won 3-1 against Bedians, so are still level on points with Mellor who have a better goal difference. The Seconds went to Whalley Range, third in Division A and came away with a vital 3-1 win. The Seconds are now four points clear of second placed Newton Heath. It was all square at 1-1 at the break, after the home side equalised a Kev Murray goal. But Murray added another and set up Ryan Yates for a last gasp third. Paul Goodwin was Mellor's top banana. The injury hit Thirds were without several key players including Si Meats, Matty Wyatt, Tom Neil and Martin Banks for the trip to Old Chorltonians. It was 1-1 at the break with Sam Parker netting for Mellor but the home side scored the winner in the second half. The Fourths were involved in an exciting top of the table clash at Wood Lane with Bedians Thirds who led Division D at start of play. Bedians missed a sitter on 15 minutes, a forward skying over with only the keeper to beat. Tom Bright might have done better with a header on 25 minutes but three minutes later Maciek Sobiegoraj was unlucky to see his shot cannon off a defender on the goalline after the keeper had fumbled a cross. Mellor had the best of the opening 35 minutes but on 42 minutes Bedians broke away and scored a sucker punch opener, netted by ex Mellor favourite Stuart Wright. The visitors made it 2-0 on 55 minutes but Pat Boyle, on as a sub for Gio Lacava, pulled one back three minutes later, slipped in by Tom Bright. A brilliant run down the right by centre back Paul Telfer ended with a cross which Sobiegoraj headed goalwards but the keeper hung on. There was drama in the 65th minute when Bedians were awarded a penalty for a trip on Wright by Dave Barron. Stu Ridgway saved the spot kick but the referee had specifically told the taker not to proceed because Bedians' manager was on the pitch and ordered the kick to be re-taken. Ridgway saved again, but the forward followed up to score for 3-1. Within 10 minutes Ridway was facing yet another spot kick for another Barron trip and he saved that too. But Bedians were now the better side and scored a fourth. Substitute Phil McGreal, on for Barron, netted from close range after a good early cross by Paul Robinson caused confusion. But Bedians made it 5-2 near the end.

The club is holding a Christmas Party at the Marple Tavern on Saturday December 20th. Make a note in your diary. Various games will be unveiled on the day.


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Mike Palmer...Man of the Match for the Firsts
PIC 2 Kev Murray two goals for the Seconds
PIC 3 Paul man for the Seconds
PIC 4 MacieIan Russell...Man of the Match for the Thirds
PIC 5 Pat Boyle off the bench to score for the Fourths
PIC 6 Phil the bench to score for the Fourths