Seconds overcome Gatley Firsts to reach Cup semi final, Firsts held 1-1

Mellor Seconds steal the headlines today after an excellent 3-1 home win against Gatley Firsts in the quarter finals of the Stockport Senior Cup. The Seconds maintained their unbeaten run to season 2008-09 with a disciplined defensive performance in which Man of the Match Dave Wilkinson shone. Mellor were never overawed by their higher status visitors and keeper Scott Waters had only two shots to save in the whole game, such was the shield around him. In midfield, Kev Murray excelled with tackles, clever short passes and surges that led to him netting two memorable goals. But he was well supported by Scott Cassidy, Carl Brindley and Jamie Oldham who covered vast acres of Wood Lane. Mellor had two early chances which fell to Ryan Yates and Kev Murray. Ryan's effort was blocked and Kev's saved. On 15 minutes Gatley had a penalty shout which the referee Stuart Hibbert turned down. Ten minutes later Kev Murray broke through and rifled a shot high into the net to shake the visitors. Gatley had a series of corners but wasted them. On 60 minutes the Gatley keeper saved at the feet of Jamie Oldham but the ball ran loose and Murray drove it high into the net again past the despairing dives of the keeper and a defender on the line. Danny Hayes replaced Carl Brindley on the right flank and his power running added a further threat. On 75 minutes Dave Moss replaced Ryan Yates. Four minutes later Luke Jubb harried a defender into an error on the right touchline, cut inside and set up Hayes who gleefully converted the chance for 3-0. Tom Sullivan came on for a hobbling Murray and with three minutes left Gatley scored what proved to be a consolation goal with a shot from 25 yards into Waters' top left hand corner. There was still time for a Luke Jubb cameo in which his sleight of foot bewitched the keeper but Jubb rolled the ball agonisingly wide of the far upright. A memorable day. The Firsts travelled to Old Ashtonians and were held 1-1. On a terrible surface, the home side scored after 20 minutes and led at the break thanks for two missed chances from Andy Given and an excellent save by the Ashtonians keeper to deny Alex Young. Early in the second half Man of the Match Paul Swann restored parity, taking a Mike Palmer pass and smashing home a shot from outside the area. Despite a lot of pressure Mellor couldn't find a winner. The Thirds lost 1-3 at Droylsden. Sam Parker scored.


Brief video highlights from Mellor Seconds historic win


• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Man of the Match Paul Swann's goal earned a point for the Firsts
PIC 2 Kev Murray's two goals sent Mellor Seconds through in the cup
PIC 3 Sam Parker scored....and missed a pen for the Thirds