Firsts win again. Magnificent 7 for the Seconds and Fourths

Mellor Firsts kept the pressure on Premiership leaders Old Trafford (whom they meet this week at Wood Lane) with a 3-1 home win against Old Ashtonians. Andy Given gave Mellor the lead on 25 minutes from the penalty spot after Barry Dalby had been brought down. Ashtonians equalised almost immediately to set up a 1-1 half time scoreline. But a second Given penalty - his third in two games - after he himself had been tripped in the box made it 2-1 and Mellor's Man of the Match Mike Palmer wrapped it up. Apologies to Chris Coram for not mentioning his excellent performance last week against South Manchester. The Seconds were also level at the break 2-2 but surged ahead of opponents Old Chorltonians in the second half, scoring five times without reply. Man of the Match Matt Jamieson(2), Luke Jubb(2), Kev Murray (2) and Jamie Parker did the damage. Luke Jubb was also singled out for praise. The Thirds travelled to play Irlam Steel Seconds and lost 2-3. Sam Parker and Danny Hayes scored. Russ Brooks was Mellor's star man. At one point in the week the Fourths had only six players. But by kick off they had a full team and four subs, albeit with several news faces. The thrown together side performed exceptionally and hammered visitors Aldermere 7-0. Star of the show was Maciek (pronounced "magic") Sobiegoraj who ran the Aldermere defence ragged. But he was helped by several other good performances from debutant Giovanni Lacava and Adam Axford in midfield, Paul Duckworth and Pat Boyle. The scoring started on nine minutes when an Aldermere defender put through his own goal as Paul Duckworth was about to pull the trigger. Pat Boyle made it 2-0 on 15 minutes but seven minutes later Stu Ridgway in goal made the first of two important saves to keep another clean sheet. Adam Axford's excellent through ball saw Maciek Sobiegoraj come out of a bruising clash with the keeper with the ball at his feet for a tap in for 3-0. Maciek then hit the post before another raking pass from Dave Barron released Boyle for a clinical finish and a 4-0 half time score. Paul Duckworth was a constant threat on the right flank and his cross on 55 minutes set up Maciek for 5-0. Tom Bradley then replaced Giovanni Lacava in central midfield and his second touch of the ball was a ferocious half volley into the roof of the net from another Duckworth right wing cross. On 61 minutes Stu Ridgway's long downfield punt led to goal number seven and Maciek's hat trick. And the same player hit the post for the second time on 72 minutes. Danny Maddocks replaced Paul Robinson in the latter stages, when Mellor missed two or three more good chances. But no one was complaining.



Good luck to Martin Jackson who is leaving soon to tour Australia for a year. He's taking orders for wobble boards and dead crocodiles.


We are exploring an idea for another training session on a Thursday. If you are interested please send an e mail to ot text 07774 721287 with your name.




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Andy Given...three successful penalties in two games
PIC 2 Luke Jubb...two more for the Seconds
PIC 3 Russ Brooks...Man of the Match for the Thirds.
PIC 4 Maciek Sobiegoraj...scored three and hit the post twice for the Fourths