Firsts pull off last gasp win at South Manchester.

Two goals in the last six minutes gave Mellor Firsts a deserved win away at South Manchester in a rollercoaster game. Mellor should have had the game won at half time after a string of missed chances. Terry Boon volleyed over from two yards out after flick ons from first Craig Frisby and then Martin Jackson. Frisby had a shot blocked from the same distance and Jack Parr fired into Jackson when in a good position. Mike Sharpe eventually gave Mellor the lead after 30 minutes, latching on to a through ball and firing high into the net after the keeper had saved his first effort. But two defensive lapses in the last five minutes of the half saw the home side take a shock 2-1 lead. South almost made it 3-1 in the first attack of the second half, with a shot that hit bar and post. But Mellor clawed their way back into the game only to miss further chances, the best a header over from Mike Palmer from substitute Andy Given's pin point right wing cross. Jackson was denied by a last ditch tackle when the home keeper blundered while trying to retrieve the ball from outside his area. Given had replaced Mike Sharpe with 28 minutes left and eight minutes later Paul Swann and Matt Jamieson came on for Terry Boon and Jack Parr. Mellor dominated the last 20 minutes and South survived several scrambles. Swann finally levelled the scores on 86 minutes with a low shot after Given at the far post had cleverly volleyed the ball back into the danger zone. Deep into injury time a pass across the area was handled by a South defender and there were no complaints when referee Alan Sivori pointed to the spot. Given stepped up and right footed the ball to the keeper's left to claim all three points. The Seconds thrashed Burnage 5-1 at Wood Lane with goals from Luke Jubb (2), Mike Barlow, Kev Murray and Jamie Oldham. Dave Whelan was the star man. The Thirds went down by the same score at home to Alkrington Dynamos. Gino Sassanelli scored Mellor's consolation.


Mike Sharpe's goal

Brief highlights from the Firsts' game



• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Andy Given...late, late penalty winner for the Firsts
PIC 2 Luke Jubb...two for the Seconds
PIC 3 Mike Barlow..scored for the Seconds
PIC 4 Gino Sassanelli scored for the Thirds