Firsts stay top, Seconds in Cup triumph

A lacklustre display by Mellor Firsts against an ill-disciplined Bedians at Wood Lane, nevertheless saw Mellor take maximum points and stay top of the Premiership. They had a dream start when Craig Fairfield at the far post bundled the ball over the line from three yards following a free kick that was flicked on at the front post. Two minutes later Bedians were down to 10 men after a forward was red carded for swearing at referee John Molloy. The dismissal seemed to add to Mellor's lethargy and Bedians deservedly equalised on nine minutes when a left wing corner was not dealt with properly at the near post and the ball was eventually drilled home from close range. On 15 minutes Man of the Match Gav Thornley made the first of two trademark one-on-one saves to prevent the visitors going ahead. Mellor's rhythm improved and there were passages of good passing play. On 20 minutes a flowing move saw the ball transferred to Mark Oldham in the inside left position and his curling shot from 18 yards hit the angle of post and bar. Three minutes from the break Liam Totterdell was injured in a midfield clash and was replaced up front by Paul Swann. Two minutes later Bedians hit Mellor's bar. Swann gave Mellor what turned out to be a winning lead on 50 minutes, arriving right on cue at the far post to drive home from four yards. With Bedians becoming increasingly frustrated and ill tempered, Mellor gained the initiative and dominated the play. But the visitors still threatened in rare breakaways and Thornley made his second key save. Chris Porter had a goal correctly ruled out for offside on 59 minutes and two minutes later was replaced by Jack Parr. Mellor continued to have most of the play, especially when Bedians were reduced to nine men after a player earned a second yellow for dissent. Dave Wilkinson replaced Luke Jubb and might have scored with a curler which shaved the crossbar. Mike Palmer missed with shot from 10 yards and Paul Swann squandered another chance a minute from time. The Seconds travelled to Woodford to play Poynton Kingfisher in the Stockport Senior Cup and emerged 4-2 winners after extra time. Andy Given and Ryan Yates scored two apiece and there was an impressive debut as sub by Tom Sullivan. The Thirds lost 2-1 away at Cheadle Hulme Villa, having led 1-0 at half time through a SDam Parker strike. Missed chances and defensive errors led to Mellor's downfall. Debutant John Callaghan at centre back was the star man. The Fourths earned a point at Gatley in their opening league fixture. Mellor came from 2-0 down at the break to draw level with goals from Danny Roberts and Paul Telfer. Debutant Will Johnson in midfield was Mellor's Man of the Match.

Craig Fairfield creeps in at the back post to give Mellor the lead (see also below)

Craig celebrates his goal


Paul Swann wins in for Mellor in the second half




• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Paul Swann..scored the winner for the Firsts
PIC 2 Ryan Yates...two for the Seconds in Cup win
PIC 3 Sam Parker...scored for the Thirds
PIC 4 Will Johnson...starring debut for the Fourths