Three games, three wins

A fluent and hard working performance on a thunderstorm soaked pitch against local rivals Hazel Grove saw Mellor Firsts cement their position at the top of the league with a maximum nine points from three games. Grove were unbeaten but Mellor took the initiative from the first minute when Terry Boon swung a delicious bending cross in from the right across the six yard box with no forward close enough to take advantage. Mellor scored first for the first time this campaign on 13 minutes when Mark Oldham lashed a 25 yard free kick into the top right hand corner, following a foul on Boon. A minute later Gav Thornley made a vital save from a close range shot, which turned out to be Grove's most threatening moment. On 15 minutes another right wing Boon cross was met superbly by Barry Dalby six yards out but his shot struck the keeper's legs and bounced clear. It was one way traffic now and Dalby fired inches wide after a scramble following a corner. Mike Sharpe's back header from yet another corner missed by a whisker and the same player blasted wide when Martin Jackson's flick header sent him beyond the Grove back line. On 37 minutes the Grove keeper let the greasy ball slip from his grasp on the line but in the melee that followed no one could force it home. Grove had the odd breakaway but the Mellor attacks were relentless with Palmer, Frisby and Dalby largely controlling the midfield. The pattern was repeated in the second half with Craig Frisby heading just wide from a Chris Coram corner. A 1-0 lead is always precarious but the second goal finally came thanks to quick thinking from Mike Sharpe whose quick throw in was turned on first time by Barry Dalby for Martin Jackson to attack at pace, turn onto his right foot and drill the ball low and hard into the bottom right hand corner. Alex Young replaced Mike Sharpe, Scott Cassidy came on for Coram and Chris Porter for Terry Boon. Grove launched a late rally with several high balls into the area but the defence held firm for a well deserved win.


Frisby and Sharpe on the attack

Ben Beer goes up for a corner

Olly's free kick flashes in

• Click return to News page




PIC 1 Mark Oldham scored with thunderous free kick
PIC 2 Mike Sharpe's quick throw set up the vital second goal